Portal Entity Permission Enhancement requires record modifications
This article provides a solution to an error that occurs when the necessary changes aren't granted on the respective Entity Permission records.
Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM
Original KB number: 4020181
To create and update records by using an entity form or web form, a portal user requires a web role with the associated entity permissions that have the Append and Append To privileges granted (in addition to the Create and Write privileges). Any Entity Permission records that have the Write and Create privileges enabled should also have the Append and Append To privileges.
If the necessary permissions are not granted on the Entity Permission records, portal users who try to create or update records by using an entity form or web form will receive the following error:
You don't have the appropriate permissions.
This issue applies to both default and custom entity forms and web forms that are present in the Dynamics 365 organization associated to a portal, depending on the current Entity Permission configuration.
To prevent users from encountering this error, the Append and Append To privileges should be enabled on any Entity Permission records where the Write or Create privileges are enabled. The steps to add the privileges are as follows:
- Sign into Dynamics 365 with a licensed user with sufficient permissions to modify Entity Permission records.
- In Dynamics 365, using the navigation menu at the top of the page, navigate to Portals -> Entity Permissions.
- Using the view dropdown menu, select the Active Entity Permissions view if it isn't selected already.
- Open any Entity Permission record(s) with Write or Create set to a value of Yes and Append or Append To set to a value of No.
- On the Entity Permission record form, ensure that both Append and Append To are enabled in the Privileges section.
As a specific example, the Customer Service - Contact of the User Entity Permission record was deployed to all Customer Self-Service portals with the Append privilege disabled. As this record has the Write privilege enabled and is set to a Scope of Self, this record should be modified so that the Append privilege is enabled.