This import has failed because a different entity with the identical name, new_mycustom, already exists in the target organization error message when you import a solution in Microsoft Dynamics CRM
This article provides a solution to an error that occurs when you import a solution in Microsoft Dynamics CRM.
Applies to: Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011
Original KB number: 2503599
When you import a solution in Microsoft Dynamics CRM, you receive the following error message:
This import has failed because a different entity with the identical name, new_mycustom, already exists in the target organization.
When you download the log file, you see log entries such as Failure at System Views, and for Form or for Ribbon, you see Unprocessed.
The import solution raises an error when you have the same entity name that is created in different organizations, and this entity name exists in multiple solution files.
- Create an organization, add a solution that is named Sol1, and then add a custom entity that is named new_MyCustom.
- Export the Sol1 solution.
- Create another organization, add a solution that is named Sol2, and then add a custom entity that is also named new_MyCustom.
- Export the Sol2 solution.
- Create a new organization, import the Sol1 solution first, then import the Sol2 solution to the organization that you created. Even though these custom entities have the same name, they have different GUID for Views, Forms, and so on. It's because they were created in different organizations. So when you import the second solution, the system identifies the GUID difference for same entity, and the error that is mentioned in the Symptoms section occurs.
If you have to have a custom entity, customize the entity in the same organization. If you're a solution provider, use a unique prefix for your solution to make sure that other solutions don't have the same name. The entity prefix can be set at the Publisher.