Error 0x800f0831 when you install an update
This article fixes an issue in which you receive error 0x800f0831 when you install a cumulative update.
Original product version: Configuration Manager (current branch), Windows Server Update Services
Original KB number: 4477073
When you try to install a Windows update, especially a cumulative update, you receive the following error message in WindowsUpdate.log:
FATAL: CBS called Error with 0x800f0831
This issue is more likely to occur when there's no access to Microsoft Update.
Additionally, you receive error messages that resemble the following in CBS.log:
Store corruption, manifest missing for package: <Missing_Package>
Failed to resolve package <Missing_Package> [HRESULT = 0x800f0831 - CBS_E_STORE_CORRUPTION]
Mark store corruption flag because of package: <Missing_Package> [HRESULT = 0x800f0831 - CBS_E_STORE_CORRUPTION]
Failed to resolve package [HRESULT = 0x800f0831 - CBS_E_STORE_CORRUPTION]
Failed to get next package to re-evaluate [HRESULT = 0x800f0831 - CBS_E_STORE_CORRUPTION]
Failed to execute execution chain. [HRESULT = 0x800f0831 - CBS_E_STORE_CORRUPTION]
Failed to process single phase execution. [HRESULT = 0x800f0831 - CBS_E_STORE_CORRUPTION]
WER: Generating failure report for package:<Failed_Package> status: 0x800f0831, failure source: Execute, start state: Staged, target state: Installed, client id: DISM Package Manager Provider
<Failed_Package> represents the package that can't be installed. <Missing_Package> represents the package for which the manifest is missing.
This issue occurs because the update that can't be installed requires the manifest of a previous update package.
To fix the issue, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Repair the component store with DISM commands
To repair the component store using the
DISM RestoreHealth command, follow these steps:
Open an elevated command prompt and run these commands:
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /SCANHEALTH
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /CHECKHEALTH
DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH
Restart the device.
Method 2: Manually repair with the payload of the partially installed component
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog.
- In the Search box, enter the package ID of the <Missing_Package>.
- Find the update that applies to your operating system appropriately in the search results, and then select the Download button.
- In the Microsoft Update Catalog window, select the link of the file to download the update.
- Select Close after the download process is done. Then, you can find a folder that contains the update package in the location that you specified.
- Open the folder, and then double-click the update package to install the update.