Describe Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps
Moving to the cloud increases flexibility for employees and IT teams. However, it also introduces new challenges and complexities for keeping your organization secure. To get the full benefit of cloud apps and services, an IT team must find the right balance for supporting access while protecting critical data.
Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps is a Cloud Access Security Broker (CASB). It's a comprehensive cross-SaaS solution that operates as an intermediary between a cloud user and the cloud provider. Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps provides rich visibility to your cloud services, control over data travel, and sophisticated analytics to identify and combat cyberthreats across all your Microsoft and third-party cloud services. Use this service to gain visibility into Shadow IT by discovering the cloud apps being used. You can control and protect data in the apps after you sanction them to the service.
What is a Cloud Access Security Broker?
A CASB acts as a gatekeeper to broker real-time access between your enterprise users and the cloud resources they use, wherever they're located, and regardless of the device they're using. CASBs help organizations protect their environment by providing a wide range of capabilities across the following pillars:
- Visibility - Detect cloud services and app use and provide visibility into Shadow IT.
- Threat protection - Monitor user activities for anomalous behaviors, control access to resources through access controls, and mitigate malware.
- Data security - Identify, classify and control sensitive information, protecting against malicious actors.
- Compliance - Assess the compliance of cloud services.
These capability areas represent the basis of the Defender for Cloud Apps framework described below.
The Defender for Cloud Apps framework
Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps is built on a framework that provides the following capabilities:
- Discover and control the use of Shadow IT: Identify the cloud apps, and IaaS and PaaS services used by your organization. Investigate usage patterns, assess the risk levels and business readiness of more than 25,000 SaaS apps against more than 80 risks.
- Protect against cyberthreats and anomalies: Detect unusual behavior across cloud apps to identify ransomware, compromised users, or rogue applications, analyze high-risk usage, and remediate automatically to limit risks.
- Protect your sensitive information anywhere in the cloud: Understand, classify, and protect the exposure of sensitive information at rest. Use out-of-the-box policies and automated processes to apply controls in real time across all your cloud apps.
- Assess your cloud apps' compliance: Assess if your cloud apps meet relevant compliance requirements, including regulatory compliance and industry standards. Prevent data leaks to non-compliant apps and limit access to regulated data.
Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps functionality
Defender for Cloud Apps Security delivers on the components of the framework through an extensive list of features and functionality. Listed below are some examples.
Cloud Discovery maps and identifies your cloud environment and the cloud apps your organization uses. Cloud Discovery uses your traffic logs to dynamically discover and analyze the cloud apps being used.
Sanctioning and unsanctioning apps in your organization by using the Cloud apps catalog that includes over 25,000 cloud apps. The apps are ranked and scored based on industry standards. You can use the cloud app catalog to rate the risk for your cloud apps based on regulatory certifications, industry standards, and best practices.
Use App connectors to integrate Microsoft and non-Microsoft cloud apps with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps, extending control and protection. Defender for Cloud Apps queries the app for activity logs, and it scans data, accounts, and cloud content that can be used to enforce policies, detect threats and provide governance actions to resolve issues.
Conditional Access App Control protection provides real-time visibility and control over access and activities within your cloud apps. Avoid data leaks by blocking downloads before they happen, setting rules to require data stored in and downloaded from the cloud to be protected with encryption, and controlling access from non-corporate or risky networks.
Use policies to detect risky behavior, violations, or suspicious data points and activities in your cloud environment. You can use policies to integrate remediation processes to achieve risk mitigation.
In this interactive guide, you’ll get an introduction to the capabilities available with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps. Select the image below to get started and follow the prompts on the screen.
Office 365 Cloud App Security
Office 365 Cloud App Security is a subset of Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps that provides enhanced visibility and control for Office 365. Office 365 Cloud App Security includes threat detection based on user activity logs, discovery of Shadow IT for apps with similar functionality to Office 365 offerings, control app permissions to Office 365, and apply access and session controls.
It offers a subset of the core Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps features.
Enhanced Cloud App Discovery in Azure Active Directory
Azure Active Directory Premium P1 includes Azure Active Directory Cloud App Discovery at no extra cost. This feature is based on the Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps Cloud Discovery capabilities that provide deeper visibility into cloud app usage in your organization.
It provides a reduced subset of the Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps discovery capabilities.
Use Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps to intelligently and proactively identify and respond to threats across your organization's Microsoft and non-Microsoft cloud services.