Recommended sync app configuration
For the best performance, reliability, and user experience, follow these "ideal state" recommendations when you configure the OneDrive sync app.
|Updates and rings||Windows Notification Service||Files On-Demand and Storage Sense||Silent account configuration||Known Folder Move|
|Allow traffic. Select some people for the Insiders ring and leave the rest in Production||Allow traffic||Keep Files On-Demand enabled and enable Storage Sense policies||Enable the policy||Enable the policies|
Updates and rings
- Allow access to oneclient.sfx.ms and g.live.com. Computers must be able to reach these URLs to apply updates and bug fixes, and enable or disable features. Updates are installed automatically; so, you don't need to package and deploy them. Because OneDrive runs in the background, updates are also installed silently and don't impact users.
- Use the Insiders and Production rings. Select several people in your IT department as early adopters to join the Insiders ring and receive features early. Leave everyone else in the organization on the default Production ring to ensure they receive bug fixes and new features in a timely fashion. This recommendation applies even if you are on the Semi-Annual Enterprise Channel for Windows and Office. For more information about the rings, see Sync app update process. To set the update ring on Windows, see Set the sync app update ring. To set it on Mac, see Deploy and configure the new OneDrive sync app for Mac.
Windows Notification Service
Make sure connection to the service is enabled. Work with your network team to ensure proxies:
- Allow network traffic to bypass *.wns.windows.com
- Avoid HTTPS decryption for *.wns.windows.com
This requirement applies to both Windows and Mac. See the complete list of required URL and IP address ranges.
Files On-Demand and Storage Sense
- Keep Files On-Demand enabled. OneDrive Files On-Demand helps users access all their files (individual or shared) without having to download them and use storage space. This setting is on by default for Windows 10 and Mac. To check this setting for Windows, see Use OneDrive Files On-Demand. To check it for Mac, see Deploy and configure the new OneDrive sync app for Mac.
- Use Storage Sense policies on PCs. These policies let you automatically clean up "locally available" files users haven't explicitly pinned as "always available". More info about Storage policies
Silent account configuration
- Silently configure user accounts on PCs. When you enable the silent account configuration policy, users are signed in automatically; so, they don't need to open OneDrive or enter their password. For more information, see Use silent account configuration.
Known Folder Move
Windows users are familiar and comfortable with saving files to their Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders from years of developing it as a habit. When you redirect and move these folders to OneDrive, users can continue saving files to these locations, and they're backed up and available from any device. For more information, see Redirect known folders.