@Alex Shanahan Apologies for the delay response!
It seems like you are trying to access Azure File Shares using Azure AD DS and Entra AD. Based on the information you have provided, it appears that the issue is related to the authentication mechanism being used to access the file share. When you try to connect to the file share using the UPN (email@example.com), it fails with the error "The specified network password is not correct".
This error message indicates that the authentication mechanism being used is not able to authenticate the user. To resolve this issue, you can try the following steps:
- Ensure that the user account is synced to Azure AD and is assigned the appropriate permissions to access the file share.
- Verify that the Entra AD DS is configured correctly and is able to authenticate the user. You can try logging in to a domain-joined computer using the UPN and verify if the user is able to authenticate successfully.
- Try accessing the file share using the DOMAIN\username format instead of the UPN. This should work if the Entra AD DS is able to authenticate the user.
- If you want to use the UPN to access the file share, you can try configuring Kerberos authentication between Azure AD DS and Entra AD. This will allow users to authenticate using their UPN and obtain a Kerberos ticket-granting ticket (TGT) from Azure AD DS, which can be used to access the file share.
- Ensure that the firewall rules are configured correctly to allow traffic between the client computer and the file share.
Based on the error message, please refer to the suggestion mentioned in this thread
Additional information: Please refer to the suggestion mentioned in the below link.
I would also recommended to cross verify the perquisites
Overview - on-premises Active Directory Domain Services authentication over SMB for Azure file shares
There is a video which gives detailed information on Azure files Integration with AAD
I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.
I wish to engage with you offline for a closer look and provide a quick and specialized assistance, please send an email with subject line “Attn:subm” to AzCommunity[at]Microsoft[dot]com referencing this thread and the Azure subscription ID, I will follow-up with you. Once again, apologies for any inconvenience with this issue.
Thanks for your patience and co-operation.
Please do not forget to "Accept the answer” and “up-vote” wherever the information provided helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.