Invalid Client Package after applying 2010 build with KB4594177 hotfix

Dennis Benz 96 Reputation points

The issue was first uncovered by errors during OSD deployments, failing with 80040104 on the Client Package ID:


I tracked this down to content on the CAS, and subsequently all DPs containing invalid packages, inside cd.latest\smssetup\client\i386 and x64 folders containing files with 0 kb in size:


Super frustrating. And then confirmed by finding these "WARNING: File hash mismatch for" under CMUpdate.log which didn't bother to flag any errors:


Has anyone ever run into this type of issue before? Is there an easy way to force a redownload and a reapply of the update that would have contained this content?

Microsoft Configuration Manager
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

Accepted answer
  1. Dennis Benz 96 Reputation points

    After playing around with boot images, and the client package with all sorts of options to redistribute/validate. I started looking at my task sequences because they also consumed the boot images, and because I got myself into a position where smspxe.log started to show "no advertisements found" error, I stumbled upon this article that dealt with a similar issue:

    In the end, the resolution was to just delete my task sequence deployment to "All unknown computers" and deploy it again. Hopefully this helps someone else out there.

    0 comments No comments

2 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Dennis Benz 96 Reputation points

    I just realized that it might be resolved by running the Update Reset Tool, although I have never done that on update that the system considers be already be installed successfully? Would it be safe to to run the tool as described here: against the 2010 update? Would it be offered to be re-installed?

    0 comments No comments

  2. AllenLiu-MSFT 42,901 Reputation points Microsoft Vendor

    Hi, @Dennis Benz
    Thank you for posting in Microsoft Q&A forum.
    My cd.latest\smssetup\client\i386 and x64 folders also contains files with 0 kb, you may try the solution to see if it helps:

    Run setupdl.exe in the bin\x64 file (of the SCCM install source directory), we can get non-zero versions of the 0 KB files we had in the Client install directory, then copy the non-zero KB files into the Client install directory, update Distribution points, and everything may work well.

    If the response is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.