I'm trying to play the built-in webcam feed in a MediaElement within a UWP app. It works fine for a few users but there is no feed played for most and I'm lost on what could be the issue.
Some observations when the webcam feed doesn't play:
- The code executes without any exceptions
- The dialog that requests user permission to access the camera is shown
- The LED indicating the webcam is in use turns on soon as it is executed, but there is no feed.
- Skype and Camera apps work fine. The app was working as expected until a week back. A few things that changed in the mean time that could have had an impact are
- Installed Kaspersky
- A bunch of windows updates
- Uninstalled VS2017 professional edition & VS2019 Community edition and installed VS2019 Professional Edition
Some additional information that might be needed to narrow down the reason.
- Webcam is enabled in the Package manifest of the app
- App Target version: 18362
- App Min version: 18362
- Windows OS Version : 18362
Any help on this would be highly appreciated. Thanks much in advance!
Here is the piece of code used to play the webcam feed where VideoStreamer is a MediaElement.
private async Task PlayLiveVideo()
var allGroups = await MediaFrameSourceGroup.FindAllAsync();
var eligibleGroups = allGroups.Select(g => new
Group = g,
// For each source kind, find the source which offers that kind of media frame,
// or null if there is no such source.
SourceInfos = new MediaFrameSourceInfo
g.SourceInfos.FirstOrDefault(info => info.DeviceInformation?.EnclosureLocation.Panel == Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Panel.Front
&& info.SourceKind == MediaFrameSourceKind.Color),
g.SourceInfos.FirstOrDefault(info => info.DeviceInformation?.EnclosureLocation.Panel == Windows.Devices.Enumeration.Panel.Back
&& info.SourceKind == MediaFrameSourceKind.Color)
}).Where(g => g.SourceInfos.Any(info => info != null)).ToList();
if (eligibleGroups.Count == 0)
System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("No source group with front and back-facing camera found.");
var selectedGroupIndex = 0; // Select the first eligible group
MediaFrameSourceGroup selectedGroup = eligibleGroups[selectedGroupIndex].Group;
MediaFrameSourceInfo frontSourceInfo = selectedGroup.SourceInfos;
MediaCapture mediaCapture = new MediaCapture();
MediaCaptureInitializationSettings settings = new MediaCaptureInitializationSettings()
SourceGroup = selectedGroup,
SharingMode = MediaCaptureSharingMode.ExclusiveControl,
MemoryPreference = MediaCaptureMemoryPreference.Cpu,
StreamingCaptureMode = StreamingCaptureMode.Video,
catch (Exception ex)
System.Diagnostics.Debug.WriteLine("MediaCapture initialization failed: " + ex.Message);
var frameMediaSource1 = MediaSource.CreateFromMediaFrameSource(mediaCapture.FrameSources[frontSourceInfo.Id]);