HIi @Advantage Tech
Azure Backup currently doesn't support the movement of backup data from one Recovery Services vault to another. To protect your resource in the new region, the resource needs to be registered and backed up to a new/existing vault in the new region.
When moving your resources from one region to another, backup data in your existing Recovery services vaults in the older region can be retained/deleted based on your requirement. If you choose to retain data in the old vaults, you will incur backup charges accordingly.
When an Azure Virtual Machine (VM) that’s been protected by a Recovery Services vault is moved from one region to another, it can no longer be backed up to the older vault.
If you need to keep the current protected data in the old vault and continue the protection in a new vault, there are limited options for some of the workloads:
- For MARS, you can stop protection with retain data and register the agent in the new vault.
- Azure Backup service will continue to retain all the existing recovery points of the old vault.
- You'll need to pay to keep the recovery points in the old vault.
- You'll be able to restore the backed-up data only for unexpired recovery points in the old vault.
- A new initial replica of the data will need to be created on the new vault.
- For an Azure VM, you can stop protection with retain data for the VM in the old vault, move the VM to another resource group, and then protect the VM in the new vault. See guidance and limitations for moving a VM to another resource group.
A VM can be protected in only one vault at a time. However, the VM in the new resource group can be protected on the new vault as it's considered a different VM.
- Azure Backup service will retain the recovery points that have been backed up on the old vault.
- You'll need to pay to keep the recovery points in the old vault (see Azure Backup pricing for details).
- You'll be able to restore the VM, if needed, from the old vault.
- The first backup on the new vault of the VM in the new resource will be an initial replica.
If the Answer is helpful, please click
Accept Answer and up-vote, so that it can help others in the community looking for help on similar topics.