Edge [Internet Explorer Mode] not working in v96

Elan Cao 26 Reputation points
2021-12-08T06:27:58.57+00:00

Our organization is using Edge, some old pages must use IE, so we deploy Enterprise IE mode by policy.

In Edge v95.0.1020.53, all sites working well.

But after upgrade to v96, some sites can load in IE mode, some sites not. Does anything changed? How can I investment this issue?

Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge
A Microsoft cross-platform web browser that provides privacy, learning, and accessibility tools.
2,041 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

Accepted answer
  1. Yu Zhou-MSFT 11,471 Reputation points Microsoft Vendor
    2021-12-09T07:34:59.797+00:00

    Hi @Elan Cao

    The introduction of the policy setting InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes in Edge 96 causes IE to send the Edge UA string for IE mode enabled websites, which in turn causes legacy web applications to mis-detect IE.

    With Edge 96 and InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes not defined, the following UA string is received while the initial access to the IE mode site is performed:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.45 Safari/537.36 Edg/96.0.1054.29  
    

    With Edge 95 or with InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes=0, the correct UA string is sent, for example:

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko  
    

    The only workaround for this now is to configure the InternetExplorerIntegrationComplexNavDataTypes to disabled (value set to 0). Setting the policy to IncludeFormDataOnly (1) = Send form data only may also bypass the issue, as headers are not sent but POST data is.


    If the answer is the right solution, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.

    Regards,
    Yu Zhou


1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Elan Cao 26 Reputation points
    2021-12-08T06:30:55.64+00:00

    Meanwhile I found an issue, I try to add one UA test page(https://ie.icoa.cn/) to enterprise list.

    First time when I enter this site, the page is loading in IE mode, but the UA string is Webkit default--------Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.55 Safari/537.36 Edg/96.0.1054.43

    After I refresh this page, the UA changed to IE correctly. ------Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko.

    I think this would be the reason why my sites not work in IE mode: based on the server setting of the site, if the browser not supported(NOT IE), server will redirect to an error page, no chance to refresh for me.

    0 comments No comments