After performing routine Windows Server 2019 updates on 04/09/2022, the server started experiencing remote printing issues. This server has the Remote Desktop Services role enabled and I am getting a Print Spooler service failure. After restarting the service, within 1 minute, the server events report the following:
- "The Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly" [Error ID 1000]
- "Faulting application name: spoolsv.exe, version: 10.0.17763.2746, time stamp: 0x8c939ce6
Faulting module name: DKADTPLANG.DLL, version: 126.96.36.199, time stamp: 0x51f8bcb7
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000157330
Faulting process id: 0x1f68
Faulting application start time: 0x01d84dcccdba761b
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\DKADTPLANG.DLL
Report Id: f4601580-feb1-4766-88ec-8f8815a176e6
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:" [Error ID 7034]
After uninstalling KB5011551 and KB5010473, the service stabilized and did not terminate. I also ran a SFC & DISM scans, but they did not resolve anything.
I ran routine updates again on 04/23/2022 and new KBs were installed. The same issue came back, but this time related to different KBs. After uninstalling KB5012119 (and KB5012158/KB5012636), the service stabilized and stopped terminating unexpectedly.
One strange thing about the uninstallation of KB5012636, it required a server restart that took almost 30 minutes for the reboot the finish the updates.