Windows Service hosting ASP.NET Core Web API
Visual Studio 2017 project to demo how to host a Web API or WebSockets server locally as a Windows Service.
- Replace ActiveX dependencies blocking the migration to modern browsers.
- Use as REST wrapper for legacy 32- or 64-bit DLLs.
- Access local system information such as registry keys or software versions for helpdesks.
- Access specialized hardware such as printers, scanners etc.
CORS should be used to restrict browser access to approved domains (white list), sample included.
- Sample MVC filter to allow only requests from localhost also included.
Source code: windows-service-dotnet-core-webapi