App support for SMS-based authentication
SMS-based authentication is available to Microsoft apps integrated with the Microsoft Identity platform (Azure AD). The table lists some of the web and mobile apps that support SMS-based authentication. If you would like to add or validate any app, contact us.
|App||Web/browser app||Native mobile app|
|Office 365- Microsoft Online Services*||●|
|Microsoft One Note||●|
|My Apps Portal||●||Not available|
|Microsoft Forms||●||Not available|
|Microsoft Power BI||●|
|Microsoft Power Apps||●|
|Azure Virtual Desktop||●|
*SMS sign-in isn't available for office applications, such as Word, Excel, etc., when accessed directly on the web, but is available when accessed through the Office 365 web app
The above mentioned Microsoft apps support SMS sign-in is because they use the Microsoft Identity login (
https://login.microsoftonline.com/), which allows user to enter phone number and SMS code.
Unsupported Microsoft apps
Microsoft 365 desktop (Windows or Mac) apps and Microsoft 365 web apps (except MS One Note) that are accessed directly on the web don't support SMS sign-in. These apps use the Microsoft Office login (
https://office.live.com/start/*) that requires a password to sign in.
For the same reason, Microsoft Office mobile apps (except Microsoft Teams, Company Portal, and Microsoft Azure) don't support SMS sign-in.
|Unsupported Microsoft apps||Examples|
|Native desktop Microsoft apps||Microsoft Teams, O365 apps, Word, Excel, etc.|
|Native mobile Microsoft apps (except Microsoft Teams, Company Portal, and Microsoft Azure)||Outlook, Edge, Power BI, Stream, SharePoint, Power Apps, Word, etc.|
|Microsoft 365 web apps (accessed directly on web)||Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneDrive|
Support for Non-Microsoft apps
To make Non-Micorosoft apps compatible with the SMS sign-in feature:
- Integrate Non-Microsoft web apps with Azure AD and use Azure AD authentication. Use Security Assertion Markup Language SAML or Open ID Connect OIDC to integrate with Azure AD SSO.
- Integrate Non-Microsoft on-prem apps with Azure AD using Azure AD application proxy
- Integrate Non-Microsoft client apps with Microsoft Identity Platform for authentication
- How to enable SMS-based sign-in for users
- See the following links to enable SMS sign-in for native mobile apps using MSAL Libraries:
- Integrate SAAS application with Azure Active Directory