Tutorial: Configure Acunetix 360 for automatic user provisioning
This tutorial describes the steps you need to perform in both Acunetix 360 and Microsoft Entra ID to configure automatic user provisioning. When configured, Microsoft Entra ID automatically provisions and de-provisions users and groups to Acunetix 360 using the Microsoft Entra provisioning service. For important details on what this service does, how it works, and frequently asked questions, see Automate user provisioning and deprovisioning to SaaS applications with Microsoft Entra ID.
- Create users in Acunetix 360.
- Remove users in Acunetix 360 when they do not require access anymore.
- Keep user attributes synchronized between Microsoft Entra ID and Acunetix 360.
- Provision groups and group memberships in Acunetix 360
- Single sign-on to Acunetix 360 (recommended).
The scenario outlined in this tutorial assumes that you already have the following prerequisites:
- A Microsoft Entra tenant
- A user account in Microsoft Entra ID with permission to configure provisioning (for example, Application Administrator, Cloud Application administrator, Application Owner, or Global Administrator).
- An administrator account with Acunetix 360.
Step 1: Plan your provisioning deployment
- Learn about how the provisioning service works.
- Determine who will be in scope for provisioning.
- Determine what data to map between Microsoft Entra ID and Acunetix 360.
Step 2: Configure Acunetix 360 to support provisioning with Microsoft Entra ID
- Log in to Acunetix 360 admin console.
- Click on profile logo and navigate to API Settings.
- Enter your Current Password and then click on Submit.
- Copy and save the Token.This value will be entered in the Secret Token field in the Provisioning tab of your Acunetix 360 application.
Click on Reset API Token in order to reset the Token.
https://online.acunetix360.com/scim/v2will be entered in the Tenant Url field in the Provisioning tab of your Acunetix 360 application.
Step 3: Add Acunetix 360 from the Microsoft Entra application gallery
Add Acunetix 360 from the Microsoft Entra application gallery to start managing provisioning to Acunetix 360. If you have previously setup Acunetix 360 for SSO you can use the same application. However it's recommended that you create a separate app when testing out the integration initially. Learn more about adding an application from the gallery here.
Step 4: Define who will be in scope for provisioning
The Microsoft Entra provisioning service allows you to scope who will be provisioned based on assignment to the application and or based on attributes of the user / group. If you choose to scope who will be provisioned to your app based on assignment, you can use the following steps to assign users and groups to the application. If you choose to scope who will be provisioned based solely on attributes of the user or group, you can use a scoping filter as described here.
Start small. Test with a small set of users and groups before rolling out to everyone. When scope for provisioning is set to assigned users and groups, you can control this by assigning one or two users or groups to the app. When scope is set to all users and groups, you can specify an attribute based scoping filter.
If you need more roles, you can update the application manifest to add new roles.
Step 5: Configure automatic user provisioning to Acunetix 360
This section guides you through the steps to configure the Microsoft Entra provisioning service to create, update, and disable users and/or groups in TestApp based on user and/or group assignments in Microsoft Entra ID.
To configure automatic user provisioning for Acunetix 360 in Microsoft Entra ID:
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications
In the applications list, select Acunetix 360.
Select the Provisioning tab.
Set the Provisioning Mode to Automatic.
Under the Admin Credentials section, input your Acunetix 360 Tenant URL and Secret Token. Click Test Connection to ensure Microsoft Entra ID can connect to Acunetix 360. If the connection fails, ensure your Acunetix 360 account has Admin permissions and try again.
In the Notification Email field, enter the email address of a person or group who should receive the provisioning error notifications and select the Send an email notification when a failure occurs check box.
Under the Mappings section, select Synchronize Microsoft Entra users to Acunetix 360.
Review the user attributes that are synchronized from Microsoft Entra ID to Acunetix 360 in the Attribute-Mapping section. The attributes selected as Matching properties are used to match the user accounts in Acunetix 360 for update operations. If you choose to change the matching target attribute, you'll need to ensure that the Acunetix 360 API supports filtering users based on that attribute. Select the Save button to commit any changes.
Attribute Type Supported for filtering Required by Acunetix 360 userName String ✓ ✓ active Boolean ✓ emails[type eq "work"].value String ✓ name.givenName String ✓ name.familyName String ✓ phoneNumbers[type eq "mobile"].value String
Under the Mappings section, select Synchronize Microsoft Entra groups to Acunetix 360.
Review the group attributes that are synchronized from Microsoft Entra ID to Acunetix 360 in the Attribute-Mapping section. The attributes selected as Matching properties are used to match the groups in Acunetix 360 for update operations. Select the Save button to commit any changes.
Attribute Type Supported for filtering Required by Acunetix 360 displayName String ✓ ✓ members Reference
To configure scoping filters, refer to the following instructions provided in the Scoping filter tutorial.
To enable the Microsoft Entra provisioning service for Acunetix 360, change the Provisioning Status to On in the Settings section.
Define the users and/or groups that you would like to provision to Acunetix 360 by choosing the desired values in Scope in the Settings section.
When you're ready to provision, click Save.
This operation starts the initial synchronization cycle of all users and groups defined in Scope in the Settings section. The initial cycle takes longer to perform than subsequent cycles, which occur approximately every 40 minutes as long as the Microsoft Entra provisioning service is running.
Step 6: Monitor your deployment
Once you've configured provisioning, use the following resources to monitor your deployment:
- Use the provisioning logs to determine which users have been provisioned successfully or unsuccessfully
- Check the progress bar to see the status of the provisioning cycle and how close it's to completion
- If the provisioning configuration seems to be in an unhealthy state, the application goes into quarantine. Learn more about quarantine states here.
- Managing user account provisioning for Enterprise Apps
- What is application access and single sign-on with Microsoft Entra ID?