Tutorial: Azure Active Directory single sign-on (SSO) integration with Animaker
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Animaker with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Animaker with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Animaker.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Animaker with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Animaker single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD SSO in a test environment.
- Animaker supports SP and IDP initiated SSO.
Add Animaker from the gallery
To configure the integration of Animaker into Azure AD, you need to add Animaker from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Animaker in the search box.
- Select Animaker from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Animaker
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Animaker using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Animaker.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Animaker, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Animaker SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Animaker test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Animaker that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Animaker application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the pencil icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, enter the values for the following fields:
a. In the Identifier text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Reply URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
These values are not real. Update these values with the actual Identifier and Reply URL. Contact Animaker support team to get these values. You can also refer to the patterns shown in the Basic SAML Configuration section in the Azure portal.
Click Set additional URLs and perform the following step if you wish to configure the application in SP initiated mode:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type the URL:
Animaker application expects the SAML assertions in a specific format, which requires you to add custom attribute mappings to your SAML token attributes configuration. The following screenshot shows the list of default attributes, where as nameidentifier is mapped with user.userprincipalname. Appraisd application expects nameidentifier to be mapped with user.mail, so you need to edit the attribute mapping by clicking on Edit icon and change the attribute mapping.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, In the SAML Signing Certificate section, click copy button to copy App Federation Metadata Url and save it on your computer.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Animaker.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Animaker.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are expecting a role to be assigned to the users, you can select it from the Select a role dropdown. If no role has been set up for this app, you see "Default Access" role selected.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Animaker SSO
To configure single sign-on on Animaker side, you need to send the App Federation Metadata Url to Animaker support team. They set this setting to have the SAML SSO connection set properly on both sides.
Create Animaker test user
In this section, you create a user called Britta Simon in Animaker. Work with Animaker support team to add the users in the Animaker platform. Users must be created and activated before you use single sign-on.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration with following options.
Click on Test this application in Azure portal. This will redirect to Animaker Sign on URL where you can initiate the login flow.
Go to Animaker Sign-on URL directly and initiate the login flow from there.
- Click on Test this application in Azure portal and you should be automatically signed in to the Animaker for which you set up the SSO.
You can also use Microsoft My Apps to test the application in any mode. When you click the Animaker tile in the My Apps, if configured in SP mode you would be redirected to the application sign on page for initiating the login flow and if configured in IDP mode, you should be automatically signed in to the Animaker for which you set up the SSO. For more information about the My Apps, see Introduction to the My Apps.
Once you configure Animaker you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.