Tutorial: Azure Active Directory integration with Hosted Graphite
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Hosted Graphite with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Hosted Graphite with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Hosted Graphite.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Hosted Graphite with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To get started, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have a subscription, you can get a free account.
- Hosted Graphite single sign-on (SSO) enabled subscription.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD single sign-on in a test environment.
- Hosted Graphite supports SP and IDP initiated SSO.
- Hosted Graphite supports Just In Time user provisioning.
Add Hosted Graphite from the gallery
To configure the integration of Hosted Graphite into Azure AD, you need to add Hosted Graphite from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Hosted Graphite in the search box.
- Select Hosted Graphite from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Hosted Graphite
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Hosted Graphite using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Hosted Graphite.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Hosted Graphite, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Hosted Graphite SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Hosted Graphite test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Hosted Graphite that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Hosted Graphite application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the pencil icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, If you wish to configure the application in IDP initiated mode, perform the following steps:
a. In the Identifier text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Reply URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
Click Set additional URLs and perform the following step if you wish to configure the application in SP initiated mode:
In the Sign-on URL text box, type a URL using the following pattern:
Please note that these are not the real values. You have to update these values with the actual Identifier, Reply URL and Sign On URL. To get these values, you can go to Access->SAML setup on your Application side or Contact Hosted Graphite support team.
On the Set up Single Sign-On with SAML page, in the SAML Signing Certificate section, click Download to download the Certificate (Base64) from the given options as per your requirement and save it on your computer.
On the Set up Hosted Graphite section, copy the appropriate URL(s) as per your requirement.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the firstname.lastname@example.org. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Hosted Graphite.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Hosted Graphite.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are expecting a role to be assigned to the users, you can select it from the Select a role dropdown. If no role has been set up for this app, you see "Default Access" role selected.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Hosted Graphite SSO
Sign-on to your Hosted Graphite tenant as an administrator.
Go to the SAML Setup page in the sidebar (Access -> SAML Setup).
Confirm these URLs match your configuration done on the Basic SAML Configuration section of the Azure portal.
In Entity or Issuer ID and SSO Login URL textboxes, paste the value of Azure Ad Identifier and Login URL which you have copied from Azure portal.
Select Read-only as Default User Role.
Open your base-64 encoded certificate in notepad downloaded from Azure portal, copy the content of it into your clipboard, and then paste it to the X.509 Certificate textbox.
Click Save button.
Create Hosted Graphite test user
In this section, a user called Britta Simon is created in Hosted Graphite. Hosted Graphite supports just-in-time user provisioning, which is enabled by default. There is no action item for you in this section. If a user doesn't already exist in Hosted Graphite, a new one is created after authentication.
If you need to create a user manually, you need to contact the Hosted Graphite support team.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration with following options.
Click on Test this application in Azure portal. This will redirect to Hosted Graphite Sign on URL where you can initiate the login flow.
Go to Hosted Graphite Sign-on URL directly and initiate the login flow from there.
- Click on Test this application in Azure portal and you should be automatically signed in to the Hosted Graphite for which you set up the SSO.
You can also use Microsoft My Apps to test the application in any mode. When you click the Hosted Graphite tile in the My Apps, if configured in SP mode you would be redirected to the application sign on page for initiating the login flow and if configured in IDP mode, you should be automatically signed in to the Hosted Graphite for which you set up the SSO. For more information about the My Apps, see Introduction to the My Apps.
Once you configure Hosted Graphite you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.