Tutorial: Azure Active Directory integration with Infinite Campus
In this tutorial, you'll learn how to integrate Infinite Campus with Azure Active Directory (Azure AD). When you integrate Infinite Campus with Azure AD, you can:
- Control in Azure AD who has access to Infinite Campus.
- Enable your users to be automatically signed-in to Infinite Campus with their Azure AD accounts.
- Manage your accounts in one central location - the Azure portal.
To configure Azure AD integration with Infinite Campus, you need the following items:
- An Azure AD subscription. If you don't have an Azure AD environment, you can get a free account.
- Infinite Campus single sign-on enabled subscription.
- At minimum, you need to be an Azure Active Directory administrator, and have a Campus Product Security Role of "Student Information System (SIS)" to complete the configuration.
In this tutorial, you configure and test Azure AD single sign-on in a test environment.
- Infinite Campus supports SP initiated SSO.
Add Infinite Campus from the gallery
To configure the integration of Infinite Campus into Azure AD, you need to add Infinite Campus from the gallery to your list of managed SaaS apps.
- Sign in to the Azure portal using either a work or school account, or a personal Microsoft account.
- On the left navigation pane, select the Azure Active Directory service.
- Navigate to Enterprise Applications and then select All Applications.
- To add new application, select New application.
- In the Add from the gallery section, type Infinite Campus in the search box.
- Select Infinite Campus from results panel and then add the app. Wait a few seconds while the app is added to your tenant.
Alternatively, you can also use the Enterprise App Configuration Wizard. In this wizard, you can add an application to your tenant, add users/groups to the app, assign roles, as well as walk through the SSO configuration as well. Learn more about Microsoft 365 wizards.
Configure and test Azure AD SSO for Infinite Campus
Configure and test Azure AD SSO with Infinite Campus using a test user called B.Simon. For SSO to work, you need to establish a link relationship between an Azure AD user and the related user in Infinite Campus.
To configure and test Azure AD SSO with Infinite Campus, perform the following steps:
- Configure Azure AD SSO - to enable your users to use this feature.
- Configure Infinite Campus SSO - to configure the single sign-on settings on application side.
- Create Infinite Campus test user - to have a counterpart of B.Simon in Infinite Campus that is linked to the Azure AD representation of user.
- Test SSO - to verify whether the configuration works.
Configure Azure AD SSO
Follow these steps to enable Azure AD SSO in the Azure portal.
In the Azure portal, on the Infinite Campus application integration page, find the Manage section and select single sign-on.
On the Select a single sign-on method page, select SAML.
On the Set up single sign-on with SAML page, click the pencil icon for Basic SAML Configuration to edit the settings.
On the Basic SAML Configuration section, perform the following steps (note that the domain will vary with Hosting Model, but the FULLY-QUALIFIED-DOMAIN value must match your Infinite Campus installation):
a. In the Sign-on URL textbox, type a URL using the following pattern:
b. In the Identifier textbox, type a URL using the following pattern:
c. In the Reply URL textbox, type a URL using the following pattern:
On the Set up Single Sign-On with SAML page, In the SAML Signing Certificate section, click copy button to copy App Federation Metadata Url and save it on your computer.
Create an Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll create a test user in the Azure portal called B.Simon.
- From the left pane in the Azure portal, select Azure Active Directory, select Users, and then select All users.
- Select New user at the top of the screen.
- In the User properties, follow these steps:
- In the Name field, enter
- In the User name field, enter the email@example.com. For example,
- Select the Show password check box, and then write down the value that's displayed in the Password box.
- Click Create.
- In the Name field, enter
Assign the Azure AD test user
In this section, you'll enable B.Simon to use Azure single sign-on by granting access to Infinite Campus.
- In the Azure portal, select Enterprise Applications, and then select All applications.
- In the applications list, select Infinite Campus.
- In the app's overview page, find the Manage section and select Users and groups.
- Select Add user, then select Users and groups in the Add Assignment dialog.
- In the Users and groups dialog, select B.Simon from the Users list, then click the Select button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you are expecting a role to be assigned to the users, you can select it from the Select a role dropdown. If no role has been set up for this app, you see "Default Access" role selected.
- In the Add Assignment dialog, click the Assign button.
Configure Infinite Campus SSO
In a different web browser window, sign in to Infinite Campus as a Security Administrator.
On the left side of menu, click System Administration.
Navigate to User Security > SAML Management > SSO Service Provider Configuration.
On the SSO Service Provider Configuration page, perform the following steps:
a. Select Enable SAML Single Sign On.
b. Edit the Optional Attribute Name to contain name.
c. On the Select an option to retrieve Identity Provider (IDP) server data section, select Metadata URL, paste the App Federation Metadata Url value, which you have copied from the Azure portal in the box, and then click Sync.
d. After clicking Sync the values get auto-populated in SSO Service Provider Configuration page. These values can be verified to match the values seen in Step 4 above.
e. Click Save.
Create Infinite Campus test user
Infinite Campus has a demographics centered architecture. Please contact Infinite Campus support team to add the users in the Infinite Campus platform.
In this section, you test your Azure AD single sign-on configuration with following options.
Click on Test this application in Azure portal. This will redirect to Infinite Campus Sign-on URL where you can initiate the login flow.
Go to Infinite Campus Sign-on URL directly and initiate the login flow from there.
You can use Microsoft My Apps. When you click the Infinite Campus tile in the My Apps, this will redirect to Infinite Campus Sign-on URL. For more information about the My Apps, see Introduction to the My Apps.
Once you configure Infinite Campus you can enforce session control, which protects exfiltration and infiltration of your organization’s sensitive data in real time. Session control extends from Conditional Access. Learn how to enforce session control with Microsoft Defender for Cloud Apps.