Tutorial: Configure monday.com for automatic user provisioning
This tutorial describes the steps you need to perform in both monday.com and Microsoft Entra ID to configure automatic user provisioning. When configured, Microsoft Entra ID automatically provisions and de-provisions users and groups to monday.com using the Microsoft Entra provisioning service. For important details on what this service does, how it works, and frequently asked questions, see Automate user provisioning and deprovisioning to SaaS applications with Microsoft Entra ID.
- Create users in monday.com
- Remove users in monday.com when they do not require access anymore
- Keep user attributes synchronized between Microsoft Entra ID and monday.com
- Provision groups and group memberships in monday.com
- Single sign-on to monday.com (recommended)
The scenario outlined in this tutorial assumes that you already have the following prerequisites:
- A Microsoft Entra tenant
- A user account in Microsoft Entra ID with permission to configure provisioning (for example, Application Administrator, Cloud Application administrator, Application Owner, or Global Administrator).
- An Enterprise monday.com account.
Step 1: Plan your provisioning deployment
- Learn about how the provisioning service works.
- Determine who will be in scope for provisioning.
- Determine what data to map between Microsoft Entra ID and monday.com.
Step 2: Configure monday.com to support provisioning with Microsoft Entra ID
- Login to monday.com. Click on your profile picture , on the left navigation pane.
- Navigate to Admin > Security .
- Click on Open in the SCIM section under the Login tab
- Click on Generate . These are the Tenant URL and Secret Token you will need for step 5.
Do not share or save this secret token. You can always generate a new token whenever and wherever it is required.
Step 3: Add monday.com from the Microsoft Entra application gallery
Add monday.com from the Microsoft Entra application gallery to start managing provisioning to monday.com. If you have previously setup monday.com for SSO you can use the same application. However it is recommended that you create a separate app when testing out the integration initially. Learn more about adding an application from the gallery here.
Step 4: Define who will be in scope for provisioning
The Microsoft Entra provisioning service allows you to scope who will be provisioned based on assignment to the application and or based on attributes of the user / group. If you choose to scope who will be provisioned to your app based on assignment, you can use the following steps to assign users and groups to the application. If you choose to scope who will be provisioned based solely on attributes of the user or group, you can use a scoping filter as described here.
Start small. Test with a small set of users and groups before rolling out to everyone. When scope for provisioning is set to assigned users and groups, you can control this by assigning one or two users or groups to the app. When scope is set to all users and groups, you can specify an attribute based scoping filter.
If you need additional roles, you can update the application manifest to add new roles.
Step 5: Configure automatic user provisioning to monday.com
This section guides you through the steps to configure the Microsoft Entra provisioning service to create, update, and disable users and/or groups in TestApp based on user and/or group assignments in Microsoft Entra ID.
To configure automatic user provisioning for monday.com in Microsoft Entra ID:
Browse to Identity > Applications > Enterprise applications
In the applications list, select monday.com.
Select the Provisioning tab.
Set the Provisioning Mode to Automatic.
Under the Admin Credentials section, input your monday.com Tenant URL and Secret Token. Click Test Connection to ensure Microsoft Entra ID can connect to monday.com. If the connection fails, ensure your monday.com account has Admin permissions and try again.
In the Notification Email field, enter the email address of a person or group who should receive the provisioning error notifications and select the Send an email notification when a failure occurs check box.
Under the Mappings section, select Synchronize Microsoft Entra users to monday.com.
Review the user attributes that are synchronized from Microsoft Entra ID to monday.com in the Attribute-Mapping section. The attributes selected as Matching properties are used to match the user accounts in monday.com for update operations. If you choose to change the matching target attribute, you will need to ensure that the monday.com API supports filtering users based on that attribute. Select the Save button to commit any changes.
Attribute Type Supported for filtering Required by monday.com userName String ✓ ✓ userType String displayName String ✓ title String locale String timezone String roles String
Under the Mappings section, select Synchronize Microsoft Entra groups to monday.com.
Review the group attributes that are synchronized from Microsoft Entra ID to monday.com in the Attribute-Mapping section. The attributes selected as Matching properties are used to match the groups in monday.com for update operations. Select the Save button to commit any changes.
Attribute Type Supported for filtering Required by monday.com displayName String ✓ ✓ members Reference
To configure scoping filters, refer to the following instructions provided in the Scoping filter tutorial.
To enable the Microsoft Entra provisioning service for monday.com, change the Provisioning Status to On in the Settings section.
Define the users and/or groups that you would like to provision to monday.com by choosing the desired values in Scope in the Settings section.
When you are ready to provision, click Save.
This operation starts the initial synchronization cycle of all users and groups defined in Scope in the Settings section. The initial cycle takes longer to perform than subsequent cycles, which occur approximately every 40 minutes as long as the Microsoft Entra provisioning service is running.
Step 6: Monitor your deployment
Once you've configured provisioning, use the following resources to monitor your deployment:
- Use the provisioning logs to determine which users have been provisioned successfully or unsuccessfully
- Check the progress bar to see the status of the provisioning cycle and how close it is to completion
- If the provisioning configuration seems to be in an unhealthy state, the application will go into quarantine. Learn more about quarantine states here.
- monday.com only supports the userType "admin" , "guest", "member" and "viewer". The userType "User" is not supported and will be removed in the future.
- 1/21/2021 - Added support for core attribute "userType" for users.
- 12/08/2022 - Dropped core user attribute emails[type eq "work"].value.Update userName , so that it get provisioned "always" and not "only on object creation".Removed the mapping for userType.Added core user attribute roles and it's corresponding mapping.
- Managing user account provisioning for Enterprise Apps
- What is application access and single sign-on with Microsoft Entra ID?