Adding a user in the Azure portal
Azure Data Lake Analytics will be retired on 29 February 2024. Learn more with this announcement.
If you're already using Azure Data Lake Analytics, you can create a migration plan to Azure Synapse Analytics for your organization.
Start the Add User Wizard
- Open your Azure Data Lake Analytics via the Azure portal.
- Select Add User Wizard.
- In the Select user step, find the user you want to add. Select Select.
- the Select role step, pick Data Lake Analytics Developer. This role has the minimum set of permissions required to submit/monitor/manage U-SQL jobs. Assign to this role if the group isn't intended for managing Azure services.
- In the Select catalog permissions step, select any other databases that user will need access to. Read and Write Access to the default static database called "master" is required to submit jobs. When you're done, select OK.
- In the final step called Assign selected permissions review the changes the wizard will make. Select OK.
Configure ACLs for data folders
Grant "R-X" or "RWX", as needed, on folders containing input data and output data.
Optionally, add the user to the Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 role Reader role
- Find your Azure Data Lake Storage Gen1 account.
- Select Users.
- Select Add.
- Select an Azure role to assign this group.
- Assign to Reader role. This role has the minimum set of permissions required to browse/manage data stored in ADLSGen1. Assign to this role if the Group isn't intended for managing Azure services.
- Type in the name of the Group.
- Select OK.
Adding a user using PowerShell
- Follow the instructions in this guide: How to install and configure Azure PowerShell.
- Download the Add-AdlaJobUser.ps1 PowerShell script.
- Run the PowerShell script.
The sample command to give user access to submit jobs, view new job metadata, and view old metadata is:
.\Add-AdlaJobUser.ps1 -Account myadlsaccount -EntityIdToAdd 546e153e-0ecf-417b-ab7f-aa01ce4a7bff -EntityType User -FullReplication