About Azure Kinect DK
Azure Kinect DK is a developer kit with advanced AI sensors that provide sophisticated computer vision and speech models. Kinect contains a depth sensor, spatial microphone array with a video camera, and orientation sensor as an all in-one small device with multiple modes, options, and software development kits (SDKs). It is available for purchase in Microsoft online store.
The Azure Kinect DK development environment consists of the following multiple SDKs:
- Sensor SDK for low-level sensor and device access.
- Body Tracking SDK for tracking bodies in 3D.
- Speech Cognitive Services SDK for enabling microphone access and Azure cloud-based speech services.
In addition, Cognitive Vision services can be used with the device RGB camera.
Azure Kinect Sensor SDK
The Azure Kinect Sensor SDK provides low-level sensor access for Azure Kinect DK hardware sensors and device configuration.
To learn more about Azure Kinect Sensor SDK, see Using Sensor SDK.
Azure Kinect Sensor SDK features
The Sensor SDK has the following features that work once installed and run on the Azure Kinect DK:
- Depth camera access and mode control (a passive IR mode, plus wide and narrow field-of-view depth modes)
- RGB camera access and control (for example, exposure and white balance)
- Motion sensor (gyroscope and accelerometer) access
- Synchronized Depth-RGB camera streaming with configurable delay between cameras
- External device synchronization control with configurable delay offset between devices
- Camera frame meta-data access for image resolution, timestamp, etc.
- Device calibration data access
Azure Kinect Sensor SDK tools
The following tools are available in the Sensor SDK:
- A viewer tool to monitor device data streams and configure different modes.
- A sensor recording tool and playback reader API that uses the Matroska container format.
- An Azure Kinect DK firmware update tool.
Azure Kinect Body Tracking SDK
The Body Tracking SDK includes a Windows library and runtime to track bodies in 3D when used with the Azure Kinect DK hardware.
Azure Kinect Body Tracking features
The following body-tracking features are available on the accompanying SDK:
- Provides body segmentation.
- Contains an anatomically correct skeleton for each partial or full body in FOV.
- Offers a unique identity for each body.
- Can track bodies over time.
Azure Kinect Body Tracking tools
- Body Tracker has a viewer tool to track bodies in 3D.
Speech Cognitive services SDK
The Speech SDK enables Azure-connected speech services.
- Speech translation
The Azure Kinect DK does not have speakers.
For additional details and information, visit Speech Service documentation.
The following Azure Cognitive Vision Services provide Azure services that can identify and analyze content within images and videos.
Services evolve and improve constantly, so remember to check regularly for new or additional Cognitive services to improve your application. For an early look on emerging new services, check out the Cognitive services labs.
Azure Kinect hardware requirements
The Azure Kinect DK integrates Microsoft's latest sensor technology into single USB connected accessory. For more information, see Azure Kinect DK Hardware Specification.
You now have an overview of Azure Kinect DK. The next step is to dive in and set it up!