About Surface Duo
Surface Duo is a new dual-screen device that fits in your pocket, based on Android. With two screens connected by a revolutionary 360° hinge, Surface Duo brings together the best of Microsoft and Android to re-imagine productivity on the go. Your Android and Xamarin.Android apps will just work on the Surface Duo, but you can take a few steps to make them work better and take advantage of the dual-screen nature of the Surface Duo to provide unique experiences for your users.
For more info, see Introducing Surface Duo.
Surface Duo SDK
Use the Surface Duo Software Development Kit (SDK) Preview with Android Studio to make your new and existing Android apps great for dual-screens. The SDK includes a Surface Duo emulator for you to develop and test your apps. The SDK also includes APIs that let you enhance your app to take advantage of unique features of the device.
Follow these steps to start making apps for the Surface Duo:
- Introduction to dual-screen devices.
- Install the Surface Duo emulator and the SDK.
- Learn how to use the emulator.
- Discover how to bring your existing app to the Surface Duo.
- Check out the samples to learn more about dual-screen development.
Get the latest news and updates from the Surface Duo Blog.
- Building apps for foldables guide (developer.android.com)
- Building apps for foldables (Google IO video)
- Building Android apps with C# using Xamarin
- Android 101 for iOS Developers
In Introduction to dual-screen devices, we outline several ways you can use existing features and techniques to make your app better on dual-screen devices. Use this existing documentation to learn more about implementing these features in Android apps.