Import or update a solution
This topic applies to Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement (on-premises). For the Power Apps version of this topic, see: Import, update, and export solutions
This topic describes how to import a new solution or update an existing solution.
Import a solution
You can import solutions manually using the steps below. Only import solutions that you've obtained from a trusted source. Customizations might include code that can send data to external sources.
Go to Settings > Solutions.
In the solutions list menu, choose Import.
In the Import Solution dialog, Select Solution Package step browse to the compressed (.zip or .cab) file that contains the solution you want to import.
You can view information about the solution before you choose Import.
You may need to wait a few moments while the solution import completes. If it is successful, you can view the results and choose Close.
If you have imported any changes that require publishing, you must publish customizations before they will be available.
If the import isn’t successful, you will see a report showing any errors or warnings that were captured. You can choose Download Log File to capture details about what caused the import to fail. The most common cause for a solution import to fail is that the solution did not contain some required solution components.
When you download the log file, you will find an XML file that you can open using Office Excel and view the contents.
You can’t edit an active routing rule set. Therefore, if you’re importing a solution that includes an active routing rule set into an organization where the rule already exists with the same ID, the solution import will fail. More information: Create rules to automatically route cases
Update a solution
There are times when you may wish to install an update to an existing managed solution. The procedure is similar to installing a new managed solution, except you will get some different options. If you are updating a solution you got from someone else, you should get guidance from the solution publisher about which options you should choose.
- Go to Settings > Solutions.
- In the solutions list menu select Import.
- In the Import Solution dialog, Select Solution Package step, browse to the compressed (.zip or .cab) file that contains the solution you want to update.
- Select Next.
- You can view information about the solution before you select Next. This page will display a yellow bar saying This solution package contains an update for a solution that is already installed.
- You will have the following options:
- Maintain customizations (recommended) Selecting this option will maintain any unmanaged customizations performed on components but also implies that some of the updates included in this solution will not take effect.
- Overwrite Customizations Selecting this option overwrites any unmanaged customizations previously performed on components included in this solution. All updates included in this solution will take effect.
- Choose the appropriate option and then select Next.
- You may need to wait a few moments while the solution import completes. If it is successful, you can view the results and select Close.
If you have imported any changes that require publishing, you must publish customizations before they will be available. See Publishing customizations for more information. Solution publishers may ask you to export your existing unmanaged customizations, update their managed solution using the option to overwrite customizations, and then re-import your unmanaged customizations. This will help ensure that the changes they are expecting are applied while preserving your customizations.