T-SQL surface area in Microsoft Fabric
Applies to: SQL analytics endpoint and Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric
This article covers the T-SQL language syntax capabilities of Microsoft Fabric, when querying the SQL analytics endpoint or Warehouse.
T-SQL surface area
- Creating, altering, and dropping tables, and insert, update, and delete are only supported in Warehouse in Microsoft Fabric, not in the SQL analytics endpoint of the Lakehouse.
- You can create your own T-SQL views, functions, and procedures on top of the tables that reference your Delta Lake data in the SQL analytics endpoint of the Lakehouse.
- For more about CREATE/DROP TABLE support, see Tables.
- For more about data types, see Data types.
At this time, the following list of commands is NOT currently supported. Don't try to use these commands. Even though they might appear to succeed, they could cause issues to your warehouse.
- ALTER TABLE ADD/ALTER/DROP COLUMN
- BULK LOAD
- CREATE ROLE
- CREATE USER
- Identity Columns
- Manually created multi-column stats
- MATERIALIZED VIEWS
- Queries targeting system and user tables
- Recursive queries
- Result Set Caching
- Schema and Table names can't contain / or \
- SELECT - FOR
- SET ROWCOUNT
- SET TRANSACTION ISOLATION LEVEL
- Temp Tables