Assign apps to employees
- Windows 10
- The retirement of Microsoft Store for Business and Microsoft Store for Education has been postponed. We will update this notice when a new retirement date is announced. You can continue to use the current capabilities of free apps until that time. For more information about this change, see Update to Intune integration with the Microsoft Store on Windows and FAQ: Supporting Microsoft Store experiences on managed devices.
- In April 2023 the Microsoft Store for Business tab was removed from Microsoft Store apps on Windows 10 and Windows 11 PCs. An interaction with existing MDM and GPO policies may lead to customers seeing errors when accessing the Microsoft Store app. For more information see Microsoft Store for Business tab removed.
Admins, Purchasers, and Basic Purchasers can assign online-licensed apps to employees or students in their organization.
To assign an app to an employee
- Sign in to Microsoft Store for Business or Microsoft Store for Education.
- Click Manage, and then choose Apps & software.
- Find an app, click the ellipses under Action, and then choose Assign to people. -OR- Click the app, and then click Assign User.
- Type the email address for the person you're assigning the app to, and click Assign.
Employees will receive an email with a link that will install the app on their device. Click the link to start Microsoft Store app, and then click Install. Also, in Microsoft Store app, they can find the app under My Library.