Upload your app in Teams
You can sideload Microsoft Teams apps without having to publish to your organization or the Teams store in the following scenarios:
- You want to test and debug an app locally yourself or with other developers.
- You built an app for yourself to automate a workflow.
- You built an app for a small set of users, such as, your work group.
Sideloading your messaging extension app multiple times displays more than one instance for messaging extensions.
- Currently, sideloading of apps is possible only in Government Community Cloud (GCC) and is not possible in GCC-High and Department of Defense (DOD).
- App installation is supported only on Teams desktop app.
- Ensure to create your app package and validate it for errors.
- Enable custom app uploading in Teams.
- Ensure that your app is running and accessible using HTTPs.
Upload your app
You can sideload your app to a team, chat, meeting, or for personal use depending on how you configured your app's scope.
Log in to the Teams client with your Microsoft 365 development account.
Select Apps > Manage your apps and Publish an app.
Select Upload a custom app.
Select your app package .zip file.
Add your app to Teams as per your requirement:
a. Select Add to add your personal app. b. Use the dropdown menu to add your app to a Team or chat.
If your app fails to sideload or encounters any issues to upload, check the following options:
- Ensure that you've followed all the instructions for creating your app package.
- Validate your app package.
- Ensure your app manifest matches with the latest schema.
Manage your apps
Manage your apps allows users to have a dedicated place to manage, update and remove their apps, permissions, and subscriptions on the Teams client. The users can install the apps from Manage your apps.
Access your app
To access apps through Manage your apps, follow the steps:
Go to Apps and select Manage your apps in Teams to view the installed apps across all your channels or for personal use in a list format.
Select the app dropdown to view all the scopes where the app is installed.
Select the scope of app to go to the app in the channel or personal view. The list of scopes consists of personal scope and teams scope only. Apps installed in group chat scope aren't displayed in this view currently.
Teams provides several ways to open apps. For more information, see access your apps in Teams.
Update your app
You don't have to sideload your app again if you make code changes (these are reflected in Teams in real-time). However, you must reinstall if you change any app configurations.
If an update is available to your app, then the Update available option is enabled. To update, follow the steps:
Select Update available to view update.
Select View update. A window with update option appears.
Select Update button to update your app.
Remove your app
To remove app from Teams, follow the steps:
Find the app in Manage your app.
Select at the scope of the installed app.
Select Remove to remove your app.
- You can't remove personal bot activity entirely. If you remove the app and add it again, new communication with the bot appends to the previous conversation with it.
- Currently, you can't migrate your custom app to the Teams store. If you want to list your app to the Teams store, see Publish your app to the Microsoft Teams store.
Submit and view feedback for