System Requirements: VMM Console in System Center 2012 and in System Center 2012 SP1
Updated: May 13, 2016
Applies To: System Center 2012 SP1 - Virtual Machine Manager, System Center 2012 - Virtual Machine Manager
The following requirements are the minimum and recommended hardware requirements for the System Center 2012 – Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) console, based on the number of hosts that you manage.
Managing up to 150 hosts
|Processor||Pentium 4, 1 gigahertz (GHz) or greater|
|RAM||2 gigabytes (GB)|
|Hard disk space||2 GB|
Managing more than 150 hosts
|Processor||Pentium 4, dual processor, 2 GHz or greater|
|Hard disk space||4 GB|
You must install the following software before you install the VMM console.
|A supported operating system for the VMM console||For more information, see Supported operating systems in this topic.|
- For System Center 2012 – Virtual Machine Manager: Windows PowerShell 2.0
- For VMM in System Center 2012 SP1: Windows PowerShell 3.0
|- Windows PowerShell 2.0 is included in the Windows Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7 operating systems.
- Windows PowerShell 3.0 is included in Windows Server 2012. Otherwise, you can install Windows PowerShell 3.0 from Installing Windows PowerShell.
|Microsoft .NET Framework:
- For System Center 2012 – Virtual Machine Manager: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1
- For VMM in System Center 2012 SP1: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 or Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5
|- On a computer that runs Windows 7, Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is installed by default.
- On a computer that runs Windows Server 2008 R2, if Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 is not installed (it is not installed by default), the VMM setup wizard will install it.
- On a computer that runs Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012, Microsoft .NET Framework 4 is included.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 is available at the Visual Studio Downloads page.
Supported operating systems
|Operating system for System Center 2012 – Virtual Machine Manager||Edition||System architecture|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 or earlier (full installation)||Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter||x64|
|Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or earlier||Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate||x86 and x64|
|Operating system for VMM in System Center 2012 SP1||Edition||System architecture|
|Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (full installation)||Standard, Enterprise, and Datacenter||x64|
|Windows 7 with Service Pack 1||Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate||x86 and x64|
|Windows Server 2012||Standard and Datacenter||64-bit|
|Windows 8||Professional and Enterprise||32-bit and 64-bit|
The computer on which you install the VMM console must be a member of an Active Directory domain.
For information about how to install the VMM console, see Installing and Opening the VMM Console.
For additional information about system requirements in System Center 2012 and System Center 2012 SP1, see System Requirements: VMM 2012 and VMM 2012 SP1.