Academic year handling
School Data Sync (SDS) allows one incoming data flow to be active at a time per academic year. All inbound data will be associated based on a year. Defining an academic year includes:
- Academic year: YYYY value
- Name for academic year: Name
- When does your academic year start? Academic start date
- When does your academic year end? Academic end date
- Defines academic calendar that has specific start and end dates. All incoming data is associated based on a year only.
- The approach is aligned to an academic year vs calendar year.
- If the academic year spans across a calendar year, for example starts August 15, 2022 and ends June 15, 2023, the academic year value selected is the ending year, 2023.
- Academic year is used to associate incoming data to help build historical data, year over year, as time progresses.
The Academic Year Start date and End date are used to assist Insights and Analytics scenarios to understand organizational data changes over time, especially between academic year transitions.
- The Academic Year dates don't dictate the timespan when data is synchronized between systems or control the start and end synchronization schedule.
Academic year | Start date
- Academic year start date can accept a value of before today to accommodate onboarding after the school year has started.
- Academic year start date can't accept a year greater than one year prior to the selected academic year. For example, 2023 can't accept August 15, 2021 but can accept August 15, 2022.
Academic year | End date
- Academic year end date can accept a value of later than today, but not before today.
- Academic year end date can't accept a year greater than one year later to the selected academic year. For example, 2023 can accept June 15, 2023, but can't accept June 15, 2024.
Sync end date and academic year end dates typically are the same. The academic year dates don't dictate the time span when data is synchronized nor control the start and end sync schedule.
Sync end date
- When do you want to stop updating this data?
- Set to a date to stop synchronizing before providing data for the next academic/school year.
- The sync end date can accept a value of later than today, but not today or before.
- The sync end date can't accept a year greater than one year later than the selected academic year. For example, 2023 can accept June 15, 2023, but can't accept June 15, 2022.
When editing an incoming flow
- You can't modify the academic year YYYY.
- You can update the name, academic start date and academic end date.
- You can update the sync end date.
Preparing for the new academic year
When ready to configure the next academic year, you'll need to start the transition process and create a new inbound flow. This process is the same as onboarding, but you're configuring it for the next academic year. For more information, see Academic year transition article.