Installing SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (AccessToSQL)
Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant (SSMA) for Access is installed by using a Windows Installer-based wizard. This topic provides information about installation prerequisites, a link to the latest version of SSMA, and instructions for installing, licensing, uninstalling, and upgrading SSMA.
Before you install SSMA, make sure that your system meets the following requirements:
- Windows 7 or a later version, or Windows Server 2008 or a later version.
- Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1 or a later version.
- The Microsoft .NET Framework version 4.7.2 or a later version. The .NET Framework is available at Microsoft .NET Guide.
- Access to and sufficient permissions on the computer that hosts the target instance of SQL Server or Azure SQL Database to which you will be migrating database objects and data.
- Microsoft Data Access Object (DAO) provider version 12.0 or 14.0. You can install DAO provider from Microsoft Office 2010/2007 product or download it from Microsoft web site.
- 4 GB RAM (recommended).
SSMA is a Web download. To download the latest version, see the SQL Server Migration Assistant download page.
Please uninstall all prior versions of SSMA for Access before installing the new version.
To install SSMA:
Double-click SSMAforAccess_n.msi, where n is the build number.
On the Welcome page, click Next.
If you do not have the prerequisites installed, a message appears that indicates that you must first install required components. Make sure that you have installed all prerequisites, and then run the installation program again.
Read the End-User License Agreement; if you agree, select I accept the agreement, and then click Next.
On the Choose Setup Type page, click Typical.
On the Ready to Install page you can enable or disable telemetry and automatic update checks every time the tool starts. Click Install to start the installation.
The default installation location is
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access.
Uninstalling SSMA for Access
Uninstall SSMA by using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Be aware that uninstalling the program does not delete SSMA project files or log files.
To uninstall SSMA:
- Click Start, click Control Panel, and then click Add or Remove Programs.
- Select Microsoft SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access, and then click Remove.
Upgrading to a later version
If you want to upgrade to a later version of SSMA for Access, you must first uninstall SSMA for Access and then install the newer version. Follow the instructions in the Uninstalling SSMA for Access section to complete this process.
If you open a project created in an earlier version of SSMA for Access, SSMA may ask if you want to convert the project to the newer version. Click Yes to work with the project in the newer version of SSMA.