Learn all about data and get an overview of how it's stored, including local and distributed file systems, databases, and object storage.
In this module, you will:
- Describe the overall characteristics of data
- List and classify different data types within the data taxonomy
- Identify the problems of scale and management in big data
- Discuss the various application requirements in storage, and map the design choices for storage systems
- Recall the memory hierarchy in computer systems and explain the tradeoffs of cost, performance, and capacity at each layer
- Recall the various types of devices used in storage systems
- Describe the various abstractions exposed to applications in storage systems
- Discuss the design considerations of local and distributed file systems
- Compare and contrast different types of databases and their design tradeoffs
- Identify the characteristics of a relational database system
- Discuss the concepts of cloud object storage
- Identify the characteristics of a NewSQL database system
In partnership with Dr. Majd Sakr and Carnegie Mellon University.