Learn about how computer input/output is virtualized. Covers I/O basics and a case study of virtualizing I/O.
In this module, you will:
- Recognize how CPU and I/O devices communicate in traditional systems
- Identify how many I/O device drivers can/should be supported per physical device for different virtualized systems, such as native and dual-mode hosted virtualized systems
- Recognize the need for and ease of intercepting I/O requests by the hypervisor
- Identify at which system interfaces the hypervisor can intercept I/O requests
- Explain the pros and cons of intercepting I/O requests at different system interfaces
- Describe the overall I/O virtualization process as applied to a network interface card
- Discuss Xen Project's approach to I/O virtualization
In partnership with Dr. Majd Sakr and Carnegie Mellon University.