Learn how memory is virtualized to support cloud resources. Covers different types of memory mapping and related issues.
In this module, you will:
- Identify how most general-purpose operating systems support virtual memory
- Discuss the one-level page mapping between virtual and physical addresses
- Identify the difference between one-level page mapping, as provided in traditional operating systems, and two-level page mapping, as provided in system memory virtualization
- Discuss multiple-level page mapping as implied by various virtualized environments, such as native and user-mode hosted virtualized systems
- Define memory overcommitment, and discuss the benefits it provides to virtualized systems
- Describe what reclamation techniques are and why they are needed
- Explain memory ballooning in VMware ESXi as an example of a reclamation technique
In partnership with Dr. Majd Sakr and Carnegie Mellon University.