Examine the components in Microsoft 365 Enterprise Mobility and Security
The following table provides an overview of the Enterprise Mobility + Security components included with Microsoft 365 Enterprise. It also introduces the core concepts necessary to understand how to best use Microsoft 365 component services. These services enable organizations to protect their employees’ identities and devices, and also control access to their company data - both in transit and at rest.
Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) provides a full suite of identity management capabilities, including:
- multi-factor authentication
- device registration
- self-service password management
- self-service group management
- role-based access control
- application usage monitoring
- rich auditing
- security monitoring and alerting.
Azure AD includes the following premium editions:
Azure AD Premium P1. This enterprise-level edition provides identity management for on-premises users, remote users, and hybrid users accessing applications both locally and over the cloud. It includes support for:
administration of dynamic groups including self-service group management and Microsoft Identity Manager. Microsoft Identity Manager is a suite of on-premise identity and access management tools.
Azure AD Premium P2. This edition includes all of the features of Azure AD Premium P1, plus Azure AD Identity Protection and Azure AD Privileged Identity Management, each of which is described below.
This service enables organizations to detect potential vulnerabilities affecting its identities. In turn, they can respond to those vulnerabilities by configuring automated responses through conditional access policies to low, medium, and high sign-in risk and user risk.
Azure AD Privileged Identity Management enables organizations to minimize the number of people who have persistent access to privileged operations. This service introduces the concept of an eligible administrator.Eligible admins are users who need privileged access now and then, but not every day. The role is inactive until the user needs access. At that point, they must complete an activation process and become an active admin for a predetermined amount of time.
Azure Information Protection (AIP) is a cloud-based solution that's delivered as part of the Mobility + Security E3 and E5 subscriptions. AIP helps organizations classify, label, and protect their documents and emails, all of which can be done:
- automatically by administrators who define rules and conditions.
- manually by users.
- or through a combination where users are given recommendations.
AIP labels can apply classification to documents and emails. When AIP labels are used, the classification is always identifiable. It doesn't matter where the data is stored or with whom it’s shared.AIP policy settings are protected by Azure Rights Management. This process is similar to how the labels are applied. In other words, AIP policies stay with the documents and emails independently of the location—inside or outside the organization, networks, file servers, and applications.
Intune is a cloud-based Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) service that enables an organization’s workforce to be productive while keeping its corporate data protected. Intune integrates closely with Azure AD for identity and access control. It's also used for device and application management.Intune's device management capabilities are used to configure and protect user's devices, including Windows PCs. Intune device management capabilities support the following enrollment types:
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) enrollment. This enrollment type lets users enroll their personal phones, tablets, or PCs to Intune.
- Corporate-owned Device (COD) enrollment. This enrollment type enables management scenarios like automatic enrollment, shared devices, and pre-authorized enrollment requirement configurations. For added security, organizations can even require multi-factor authentication to enroll a device to Intune. Once a device is enrolled, Intune can configure device features and settings to enable secure access to company resources.
Choose the best response for the following question. Then select “Check your answers.”
Check your knowledge
Need help? See our troubleshooting guide or provide specific feedback by reporting an issue.