From the Up-next card on the Home page
When the Up-next card prompts you to "wrap up," you can select Let's go to start your virtual commute right away.
This message appears at the following times:
- If you've configured virtual commute reminders, the message appears 30 minutes before the time that you configured. For information about changing this and other settings, refer to Insights app settings.
- If you haven't configured virtual commute reminders, the message appears 30 minutes before the end of your workday as scheduled in Outlook.
Within Protect time
In Protect time, when prompted with, "Ready to wrap up?", select Let's go.
When you select this button, your virtual commute starts immediately. For details about the virtual commute experience, refer to virtual commute sections. Starting a virtual commute this way doesn't affect the scheduled days and time of day that you set in Set up virtual commutes.
Set up virtual commutes
The first time you open Protect time, you're prompted to schedule your virtual commute reminders.
You can use this prompt to turn on the Reminder toggle, then select the days and time of day that you want to see the virtual commute reminder. When you're done, select Save changes.
- You can schedule virtual commute reminders for any day of the week, including days not configured as workdays in your Outlook settings.
- The time you select will apply to every day on which you'll see reminders. You can't set different times for different days of the week.
- The reminder might not arrive at exactly the scheduled time, but most reminders appear within five minutes before their scheduled time. For example, if your reminder is scheduled for 5:00, the reminder could appear between 4:55 and 5:00.
If you need to adjust these settings at any time, you can do so on the Settings page. For more information, see Settings > Virtual commute.
Virtual commute sections
After you select Let's go, your virtual commute starts.
The commute guides you through the following sections. All sections are optional; to skip a section, just select Next.
In Meetings, you can review tomorrow’s events—those that last all day, those that you’ve accepted, and those that still need your RSVP.
If an event needs your RSVP, you can Accept or Decline it from this screen.
If you don’t have any events coming up tomorrow, you’ll see open blocks on your calendar that you can use for focus time, instead. Select Book time to add that focus time to your calendar.
When you’re ready to move to the next section, select Next at the bottom-right of the page.
In the Tasks section, you can review your open tasks. These tasks originate from Microsoft To Do, and they’re are either due today or have a reminder set for today.
In addition to viewing your existing tasks, you can do a few other things in this section:
Add a new task. Below Your tasks, select Add a task.
Add a suggested task surfaced from Outlook or Teams. If To Do notices a potential task in your chats or emails, a notification appears above Your tasks. Select the down arrow to expand the message. If you want to put this task on your To Do list, select the Add to your tasks button.
Cross a completed task off your list. Select the circle to the left of the task name, which sends the task to your Tasks completed today list. If you want to delete the task from To Do, select the trash can icon to the right of the task name.
Set a reminder. Select the ellipses (…) to the right of the task name, then pick a time you want to be reminded. Reminders appear in your Microsoft To Do list and in your Briefing email, if you’re subscribed to receive Briefing emails. You can also Edit and Delete tasks from this menu.
After you’re done reviewing and managing your tasks, select Next to move to the last section.
Wind down provides some activities to help you close out your workday mindfully and disconnect from work:
- A breather break
- If you have access to Headspace, a few guided meditation videos
- The opportunity to reflect, just like you would using the Reflect feature on the Home page
Start one or more of these activities to help transition to the next part of your day.
When you’re ready to complete your virtual commute, select the Done button.
Submit and view feedback for