Let users reset their own passwords
Check out all of our small business content on Small business help & learning.
Check out Microsoft 365 small business video help on YouTube.
This article is for people who set password expiration policy for a business, school, or nonprofit. You can let people use the self-service password reset tool so you don't have to reset passwords for them. Less work for you!
To complete these steps, you must be a global admin or password administrator.
If you need help with the steps in this topic, consider working with a Microsoft small business specialist. With Business Assist, you and your employees get around-the-clock access to small business specialists as you grow your business, from onboarding to everyday use.
Before you begin
You get self-service password reset for cloud users free with any Microsoft 365 business, education, or nonprofit paid plan. It doesn't work with Microsoft 365 trial.
It uses Azure. You'll automatically get this feature in Azure for free when you do these steps. It won't cost you anything to turn on self-service password reset.
If you're using an on-premises Active Directory, you can set this up but it requires a paid subscription to Azure AD Premium.
Watch: Let users reset their own passwords
Check out this video and others on our YouTube channel.
Steps: Let people reset their own passwords
- In the Microsoft 365 admin center, in the left navigation pane, select Settings > Org settings, and then Security & privacy.
- Select Self-service password reset, and then choose Go to the Azure portal to turn on self-service password reset.
- In the left navigation pane, select Users, and then Users - all users
- Select Password reset.
- Select All to enable self-service password reset for all your users, or choose Selected to specify Groups you want, and then select Save.
- On the Password reset | Properties page, select Authentication methods and select the Number of methods required to reset and desired Methods available to users, and then select Save.
- When your users sign in, they will be prompted to enter additional contact information that will help them reset their password in the future.