On August 31, 2024, we retire Basic and Standard A-series virtual machines (VMs). Before that date, migrate your workloads to Av2-series VMs, which provide more memory per vCPU and faster storage on solid-state drives (SSDs). The remaining VMs with these specific sizes on your subscription will be set to a deallocated state. These VMs will be stopped and removed from the host. These VMs will no longer be billed in the deallocated state.
In some cases, you must deallocate the VM prior to resizing. This can happen if the new size is not available on the hardware cluster that is currently hosting the VM.
Migrate workloads to Av2-series VMs
You can resize your virtual machines to the Av2-series using the Azure portal, PowerShell, or the CLI. Below are examples on how to resize your VM using the Azure portal and PowerShell.
Resizing a virtual machine results in a restart. We recommend that you perform actions that result in a restart during off-peak business hours.
- Open the Azure portal.
- Type virtual machines in the search.
- Under Services, select Virtual machines.
- In the Virtual machines page, select the virtual machine you want to resize.
- In the left menu, select size.
- Pick a new Av2 size from the list of available sizes and select Resize.
Set the resource group and VM name variables. Replace the values with information of the VM you want to resize.
$resourceGroup = "myResourceGroup" $vmName = "myVM"
List the VM sizes that are available on the hardware cluster where the VM is hosted.
Get-AzVMSize -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -VMName $vmName
Resize the VM to the new size.
$vm = Get-AzVM -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup -VMName $vmName $vm.HardwareProfile.VmSize = "<newAv2VMsize>" Update-AzVM -VM $vm -ResourceGroupName $resourceGroup
Help and support
If you have questions, ask community experts in Microsoft Q&A. If you have a support plan and need technical help, create a support request:
- In the Help + support page, select Create a support request. Follow the New support request page instructions. Use the following values:
- For Issue type, select Technical.
- For Service, select My services.
- For Service type, select Virtual Machine running Windows/Linux.
- For Resource, select your VM.
- For Problem type, select Assistance with resizing my VM.
- For Problem subtype, select the option that applies to you.
Follow instructions in the Solutions and Details tabs, as applicable, and then Review + create.
Learn more about the Av2-series VMs