"Access Denied", or user is repeatedly prompted for credentials when connecting to Microsoft 365
When users try to access a Microsoft 365 resource from a rich client application such as Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Lync, one of the following symptoms occurs:
- Users are repeatedly prompted to enter their credentials.
- Users receive the Access Denied error.
To diagnose and automatically fix several common Office sign-in issues, you can download and run the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant.
To fix this problem, reset the user's password. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open a web browser, browse to the Microsoft 365 portal (https://portal.office.com), and then sign in by using the user's expired credentials.
- When you're prompted, enter a new Microsoft 365 password for the user. Make sure that the password meets the criteria for Microsoft 365.
For information about related issues, see the following articles:
- How to troubleshoot non-browser apps that can't sign in to Microsoft 365, Azure, or Intune
- A federated user is repeatedly prompted for credentials during sign-in to Microsoft 365, Azure, or Intune
Still need help? Go to Microsoft Community.