Can't access two Windows 11 computers

BobinOhio 15 Reputation points
2025-09-07T15:28:51.2533333+00:00

I just added a new desktop computer and I'm trying to connect it to my laptop. Both computers are Win 11. I keep getting the "Enter Network Credentials" box when I try to access each of the computers. I have unchecked Password proteced sharing on both computers but I still get that box. What is going on?

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Internet and connectivity
0 comments No comments

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. mabel ricaldis 0 Reputation points
    2025-09-17T09:12:07.5766667+00:00

    recien voy a instalarlo

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments

  2. Jeronimo Fuerte 46,745 Reputation points Independent Advisor
    2025-09-07T16:17:46.94+00:00

    Hi! Even with Password-protected sharing turned off, Windows 11 will still prompt for credentials because it blocks anonymous/guest SMB access by default.

    Put both PCs on a Private network, turn on Network discovery and File and printer sharing, and make sure File and Printer Sharing is allowed through the firewall. Then connect using a real account that exists on the target PC, either your Microsoft account (email + password) or a local account you create at Settings > Accounts > Other users. When prompted, enter TARGETPC\username and the password (or save it ahead of time in Control Panel > Credential Manager > Windows Credentials > Add a Windows credential).

    If you absolutely want no password at all (not recommended), you’d have to re-enable insecure guest logons: in gpedit.msc go to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > Lanman Workstation > Enable insecure guest logons = Enabled, then restart.

    Was this answer helpful?


Your answer

Answers can be marked as 'Accepted' by the question author and 'Recommended' by moderators, which helps users know the answer solved the author's problem.