Stream start page in Office
The basis for Stream (on SharePoint) is to have video files stored in SharePoint, OneDrive, and Teams. The Stream video start page in Office lets users get back to those videos no matter where they uploaded them across Microsoft 365. It helps users find videos and Teams meeting recordings and quickly pickup where they left off or discover new content that was shared or is useful to them.
To try out the experience go to:
- Worldwide (Standard Multi-Tenant) & GCC: https://stream.office.com
- GCC High: https://www.office365.us/launch/stream?auth=2
- DoD: https://www.ohome.apps.mil/launch/stream?auth=2
Direct the Stream app tile launcher to Stream (on SharePoint)
Stream (Classic) is transitioning to Stream (on SharePoint). Until Stream (Classic) is retired you can decide which Stream experience is most appropriate for your users. Do this in the SharePoint admin center by setting the default destination of the Stream tile in the Microsoft 365 app launcher.
- Go to the Settings page of the SharePoint Admin Center and sign in with an account that has admin permissions for your organization.
- Select App launcher tile.
- Select the option you want to set as the default destination for your users.
- Select Save. It takes about five minutes for this change to take effect.
Default destination options
Automatically switch to the new Stream (on SharePoint) when recommended: This is the default option. If you select this option or don't change it, then Microsoft will decide the default Stream experience when users select the Stream tile.
Currently, this option directs the Stream tile to Stream (on SharePoint). If you don't want Microsoft to change what happens when your users select the Stream tile, select one of the following options.
Stream (on SharePoint): The Stream tile in the app launcher will always direct users to Stream (on SharePoint).
Stream (Classic): The Stream tile in the app launcher will direct users to Stream (Classic) until Classic is retired.
Note: This setting will be available to admins later this May. Review the timeline for all Stream (on SharePoint) feature releases on the Microsoft 365 Roadmap.
Add a custom tile in the application launcher
If you want to have both Stream (Classic) and Stream (on SharePoint) apps in the launcher, you can add a custom application tile to the Microsoft 365 application launcher pointing to the new experience.
Create a custom app pointing to stream.office.com
- As a SharePoint admin for your organization, go to Azure Active Directory
- Enterprise applications > + New application
- + Create your own application
- Give your application a name like "Stream (preview)" or "Stream (new)", the name given here will show in the Microsoft 365 app launcher
- Choose Integrate any other application you don't find in the gallery (Non-gallery) > Create
- Save one of the Stream logo images below. Right click and Save image as to save it to your computer
- Properties tab > Logo > Select file > upload the saved Stream logo image file > Save
- Users and groups tab > + Add user/groups > Add the users or an AD security group that you want to see this application > Assign
- Single sign-on tab > Linked > Sign on URL > Enter "https://stream.office.com" > Save
For more info, see: Creating a custom app in Azure Active Directory
Logos you can use when creating your custom app. (Right click and Save image as to save the image to your computer.)
Pin a custom app to the Microsoft 365 app launcher
If you want to pin the custom app you created above to your user's Microsoft 365 application launcher, you can do that via Azure Active Directory as well.
- As an admin for your tenant, go to Azure Active Directory
- Users > User settings
- Under Enterprise applications > Manage how end users launch and view their applications
- Under Office 365 Settings > Add a default application for your end users to see > + Add application > Pick the custom application you created above
For more info, see: Use AAD portal to pin apps