Resolve Windows 10 upgrade errors: Technical information for IT Pros
- Windows 10
This article contains technical instructions for IT administrators. If you are not an IT administrator, try some of the quick fixes described in this article then contact Microsoft Support starting with the Virtual Agent. To talk to a person about your issue, click Get started to interact with the Virtual Agent, then enter "Talk to a person" two times. The Virtual Agent can also help you to resolve many Windows upgrade issues. Also see: Get help with Windows 10 upgrade and installation errors and Submit Windows 10 upgrade errors using Feedback Hub.
This article contains a brief introduction to Windows 10 installation processes, and provides resolution procedures that IT administrators can use to resolve issues with Windows 10 upgrade.
The article has been divided into subtopics of different technical levels. Basic level provides common procedures that can resolve several types of upgrade errors. Advanced level requires some experience with detailed troubleshooting methods.
The following four levels are assigned:
Level 100: Basic
Level 200: Moderate
Level 300: Moderate advanced
Level 400: Advanced
In this guide
See the following topics in this article:
- Quick fixes: \Level 100\ Steps you can take to eliminate many Windows upgrade errors.
- SetupDiag: \Level 300\ SetupDiag is a new tool to help you isolate the root cause of an upgrade failure.
- Troubleshooting upgrade errors: \Level 300\ General advice and techniques for troubleshooting Windows 10 upgrade errors, and an explanation of phases used during the upgrade process.
- Windows Error Reporting: \Level 300\ How to use Event Viewer to review details about a Windows 10 upgrade.
- Upgrade error codes: \Level 400\ The components of an error code are explained.
- Result codes: Information about result codes.
- Extend codes: Information about extend codes.
- Log files: \Level 400\ A list and description of log files useful for troubleshooting.
- Log entry structure: The format of a log entry is described.
- Analyze log files: General procedures for log file analysis, and an example.
- Resolution procedures: \Level 200\ Causes and mitigation procedures associated with specific error codes.
- 0xC1900101: Information about the 0xC1900101 result code.
- 0x800xxxxx: Information about result codes that start with 0x800.
- Other result codes: Additional causes and mitigation procedures are provided for some result codes.
- Other error codes: Additional causes and mitigation procedures are provided for some error codes.
- Submit Windows 10 upgrade errors: \Level 100\ Submit upgrade errors to Microsoft for analysis.
Windows 10 FAQ for IT professionals
Windows 10 Enterprise system requirements
Windows 10 Specifications
Windows 10 IT pro forums
Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool
Submit and view feedback for