New Teams for Web - Overview and prerequisites
The new Teams for Web is reimagined from the ground up with performance in mind, providing a faster, simpler, and more flexible experience. The new Teams client installs and loads faster, letting you launch the app and join meetings more quickly, giving you more time to focus on the business tasks.
New Teams for Web rollout schedule
General availability of New Teams for Web for Chrome and Microsoft Edge was announced earlier in November, and the following details provide further clarity on the timelines for the availability and update progress for New Teams for Web.
Education, Special Cloud, GCC, GCC-High, and DOD customer segments operate on separate timelines than what is presented here.
Availability on Microsoft Edge and Chrome browsers on Windows and macOS
|Nov 15, 2023 to
Jan 15, 2024
|Jan 15, 2024
|After March 31, 2024
Availability on Firefox and Safari browsers, and Linux
|1st Quarter, 2024
More-specific dates and details for Firefox, Safari, and PWA on Linux will be shared at a later date.
How to try new Teams: App Switcher
- Navigate to the Teams web client at https://teams.microsoft.com using Microsoft Edge or Chrome browsers.
- Select the Try the new Teams toggle on the upper-left corner of the app to switch to new Teams.
Minimum Browser versions
New Teams for Web follows the same browser requirements as classic Teams for Microsoft Edge and Chrome Browsers:
- The browser must be configured to allow third-party cookies.
- The browser runs on a desktop computer.
- The browser is updated to one of the three most-recent versions of Microsoft Edge or Chrome.
The new Teams web client offers near feature parity with the new Desktop client thanks to a new, cross-client infrastructure.
Features currently not available
The following notable features aren't available on new Teams or classic Teams clients:
- Simultaneous availability and notifications across multiple accounts and tenants.
- Popout windows for chat and channel content.
- Avatars and video background effects, except for background blur.
New Teams for Web supports the same features available on classic Teams for Web with the exception of the changes listed in Features that are changing in the new Microsoft Teams.
Enhancements in new Teams
The following issues from classic Teams Web are now fixed in new Teams Web:
- Support for more than two concurrent Teams tabs.
- Screen reader challenges with notifications.
- Various stability and performance issues.