error occurred "An unexpected error occurred in the client." in safari Version 15.6 (16613., 16613) on mac

Diluka Hewage 6 Reputation points

Hi all,

I am developing an outlook add in with SSO (single sign on). It works fine on other browsers OWA except Safari on mac. When it tries to get access token it occurs "An unexpected error occurred in the client." error.

I also tried with console to get access token using “OfficeRuntime.auth.getAccessToken", then same error occurred as following.


When I allow the popup windows in Safari, and run the add in again, it opens a popup with account selection and when I sign in with account, add in works as expected.

Can anyone help with this issue?

JavaScript API
JavaScript API
An Office service that supports add-ins to interact with objects in Office client applications.
589 questions
Office Development
Office Development
Office: A suite of Microsoft productivity software that supports common business tasks, including word processing, email, presentations, and data management and analysis.Development: The process of researching, productizing, and refining new or existing technologies.
2,446 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David Chesnut 81 Reputation points Microsoft Employee

    Hi @Diluka Hewage , thanks for letting us know about this issue. This issue was also reported here: I'll paste the answer over here as well.

    There is an issue with api when ITP is enabled which is by default in safari. We have put this in our backlog. Unfortunately, we do not have any timelines to share at this point.

    0 comments No comments