Hi @ Joshua Reynolds ,
Are all clients facing the same problem? Based on my research, there are many reasons for this error code. Here are some solutions I searched for for your reference:
1, Please help check the IIS configuration, the link for you reference:
Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you understand the problem. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.
2, I found a similar threader and here is his solution for your reference:
- Unselect couple of products from SCCM with regards to downloading updates for instance if you have chrome, citrix, win 8.1 etcc. uncheck chrome and citrix and run the sync. check logs. once the issue is fixed re-select those products and check again.
- make sure stale, expired or old updates are cleaned up from SCCM and SQL DB.
- Run WSUS cleanup from within the tool itself.
- there are couple of scripts that are available and which i run on weekly basis which does - Re-index SUSDB, Monthly cleanup of updates and deleting old updates on top of the above steps.
3, About error code: 80244007, I found this official article for your reference:
I will do more research; I will be sharing for you if I have any gains.
Thanks for your time!