SharePoint 2013. System.Web.HttpException: The DataSourceID of 'TopNavigationMenu' must be the ID of a control of type IHierarchicalDataSource

David Sherdley 0 Reputation points
2023-04-15T09:12:57.06+00:00

Hi, I am having an issue with a clients SharePoint. It started with Search not crawling new data, and in the search admin we got "The search application 'f586976b-cbcc-400f-bdd9-6833882ba778' on server did not finish loading" It was suggested to change the APP pool to the Webservice Root, check Timer service and in the end Run the Cofig wizard. The 1st two did nothing, and when we run the Config Wiz, it was showing the two servers were out of sync with patches. The APP server had KB4011581 and KB5002167 but the FEW did not. (we dont know who/how these got on the server) So these were installed and Cofig Wiz ran through ok. But now none of the web apps are working (something went wrong) Checking to Coro ID i see System.Web.HttpException: The DataSourceID of 'TopNavigationMenu' must be the ID of a control of type IHierarchicalDataSource. A control with ID 'topSiteMap' could not be found.
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.GetDataSource()
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.ConnectToHierarchicalDataSource()
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.HierarchicalDataBoundControl.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive()
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) and a number of: PortalSiteMapProvider was unable to fetch root node, request URL: /Pages/default.aspx, message: Errors. Nothing I seem to do helps, and I'm now at a lost as to what to try next. the farm does have Metaloix/Control point on, and a few other Solution I know nothing about. But removing them didnt seem to help. Can anyone suggest where i can go from here as I seem to run out of options? There has not been any other update on the Farm.

SharePoint
SharePoint
A group of Microsoft Products and technologies used for sharing and managing content, knowledge, and applications.
9,884 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

2 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. David Sherdley 1 Reputation point
    2023-04-15T12:00:55.0966667+00:00

    I've been told this is "typically due to a feature guid not matching up correctly in the web.config file for the sitemapprovider" how can i change/check this? DAve.

    0 comments No comments

  2. AllenXu-MSFT 16,871 Reputation points Microsoft Vendor
    2023-04-17T06:17:25.3466667+00:00

    Hi @David Sherdley,

    As per your description, this may caused by missing CU which caused your WFE servers to not work. You should keep the same CU installed on APP servers and WFE servers. Firstly have a try to install the missing CU on WFE servers and see if this helps.


    If the answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and kindly upvote it. If you have extra questions about this answer, please click "Comment".

    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.