I could use some guidance on how to upgrade my KMS server from Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows Server 2022. We would like to deploy a new server and not do an in-place upgrade of our KMS server. My organization runs mostly Windows 10/11, Server 2019/2022, and Office 2016/2019. On the old KMS Server, 2012 R2, we have a mix of ADBA and KMS activations.
1. My plan is to deploy server 2022, with volume activation Reference Article
Install-WindowsFeature -Name VolumeActivation -IncludeAllSubFeature
2. Configure the firewall Reference Article
Set-NetFirewallRule -Name SPPSVC-In-TCP -Profile Domain,Private -Enabled True
3. Install the Office 2019 and 2016 volume license pack Reference Article
4. Then go into the volume activation tool and start registering my license keys I have for the various windows products, using only ADBA activation. Reference Article
5. After all of the keys are in the new server, I will deactivate the key from the old KMS server, and decommission the old server. Reference Article
6. Update the _SRV DNS record and replicate to domain
Where I’m running into issues in my test lab, is on the fourth step. I open Volume Activation Tools, Select ADBA, and enter the KMS key. I chose Activation Online. I get the error:
“Invalid product key or license mismatch”
So, my question is, am I missing something? I have verified the license key that I am putting in the Volume Activation Tools is correct according to the Volume Licensing Services Website. I have not deactivated any keys from my current KMS server. I feel like there is a peace to the puzzle that I am missing.