Microsoft Remote Desktop Update 10.8.2 Unable to Connect

Dave-COMS 40 Reputation points
2023-04-27T23:25:58.2+00:00

After updating to Microsoft Remote Desktop Update 10.8.2, I can no longer connect to our server. I am running on an M1 Mac with Ventura 13.3.1. I get the following popup error...

Unable to Connect

Your session ended because of an error.

If this keep happening, contact your

network administrator for assistance.

Error code: 0x4

Remote Desktop
Remote Desktop
A Microsoft app that connects remotely to computers and to virtual apps and desktops.
4,332 questions
{count} votes

8 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Phil A 15 Reputation points
    2023-05-03T23:36:59.1433333+00:00

    For anyone who runs into this issue and comes across this post while Googling for a solution...

    I ran into this bandsaw with a handful of Windows 2008R2 servers - a software update to the Microsoft Remote Desktop client is definitely responsible. My mac updated itself to Remote Desktop 10.8.2, and suddenly I lost all access to all of my older servers.

    My fix was to turn off Microsoft's autoupdater, uninstall Microsoft Remote Desktop (I had it handled using homebrew), then went out and grabbed the old installer package - Homebrew has the full URL in the homebrew-cask repo; use this as a starting point -

    https://officecdn-microsoft-com.akamaized.net/pr/C1297A47-86C4-4C1F-97FA-950631F94777/MacAutoupdate/Microsoft_Remote_Desktop_<insert_version_number_here>_installer.pkg
    
    

    I went with a version I know worked in the past - 10.7.10.

    Hope this helps!

    3 people found this answer helpful.

  2. JClark 10 Reputation points
    2023-05-12T12:39:40.5033333+00:00

    I manage 100+ endpoints with a mix of Intel & M1 Macs running 10.15 - 13.x and every system that upgraded to 10.8.2 is unable to connect to our 2008 server. Here's my procedure to "fix" the issue by rolling back to 10.8.1:

    1. Delete the app from the Applications folder
    2. Open the Apple app store.app and go to preferences and uncheck automatic updates
    3. Send the user my OneDrive link to a zipped file of MRD version 10.8.1

    https://engleprintingpublish-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/jaclark_engleonline_com/ERagg2MeAwtKhkUlxRPWX8UBj_KXfWwtMCb4xV9sI93SZw?e=duhYPp

    1. Copy the app to the Application folder and access is restored.

    I plan to do some more troubleshooting steps when I have time: 1) Increase the security setting on the 2008 server (it's currently set low), Uncheck "Enable optimizations for Microsoft Teams" & "Use hardware acceleration..." If that works, I'll report back.

    2 people found this answer helpful.

  3. Limitless Technology 44,046 Reputation points
    2023-04-28T14:55:03.0466667+00:00

    Hello

    Thank you for your question and reaching out.

    Go to System preferences of the Remote Desktop Connection App.

    Untick the “Use hardware acceleration when possible”

    On the Windows Computer -> "Start the "Function Discovery Provider Host" and "Function Discovery Resource Publication" services, and then set them to Automatic (Delayed Start).

    --If the reply is helpful, please Upvote and Accept as answer--

    1 person found this answer helpful.

  4. Styrbjörn Östman 0 Reputation points
    2023-04-28T09:52:52.0733333+00:00

    I have the exact same problem with my MacBook Pro M2 2022.

    0 comments No comments

  5. Stefano Cucit 0 Reputation points
    2023-04-28T13:15:38.8266667+00:00

    I have experienced the same problem form MacBook M1 MacOS 13.3.1 to a virtualized Windows XP.

    No problem with another virtualized and updated Windows 10 machine. Before the new version everything worked fine.

    0 comments No comments