Microsoft Edge: Issues with Policy (UpdatePolicy, Microsoft EdgeUpdate Policies)

Andreas Hanikel 0 Reputation points

Greetings Everyone,

I'm seeking assistance regarding an issue I've encountered and hope that you might be able to help me. The objective is to exercise full control over Edge Updates, We employ a third-party application for the Microsoft Edge deployment, which is why we need to disable the automatic updates under the "edge://settings/help" site

We are implementing Group Policy Objects (GPOs) to disable the updates. These policies are configured using the "Microsoft Edge Policy Templates" provided with the Edge Enterprise Version. However, I've come across an issue on two different clients with identical Edge/OS versions where the policies are not being applied.

I observed that one client has "Microsoft EdgeUpdate Policies" available as a menu option, while the other one does not. On the client with the menu option, all policies function as intended.

Could this be a bug, or is it a setting I'm missing? I appreciate your time in reading this.

Thank you!

Some Screenshots:

Version (Same on both clients):


Policy (Working client):


Policy (Not working client):


Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge
A Microsoft cross-platform web browser that provides privacy, learning, and accessibility tools.
2,230 questions
A family of Microsoft operating systems that run across personal computers, tablets, laptops, phones, internet of things devices, self-contained mixed reality headsets, large collaboration screens, and other devices.
5,054 questions
{count} votes

1 answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Andreas Hanikel 0 Reputation points

    Hello @Raina Zhao - MSFT ,

    thank you for your message and excuse the long wait for my reply. I hope you are doing well in the new year After a lot of trial and error and wasting too much time on that matter, we did resolve the issue by renaming the edgeupdate.exe. Even though it still shows an error message, we just can't put more time into that issue.

    The service was running with the same settings as your screenshot. For the gpresult file, the generated file is in german, so I don't think a screenshot is going to help. I did translate it via Google, but it's still Google :).

    Best Regards, Andreas  grafik

    0 comments No comments