Thank you for reaching out.
I understand you are facing issue while deploying Application Gateway WAF tier in East US region.
Depending on the error received. I think you are getting this error due to the limitation mentioned here.
- New Customers will not be allowed to create V1 from 1 July 2023 onwards. However, any existing V1 customers can continue to create resources in existing subscriptions until August 2024 and manage V1 resources until the retirement date of 28 April 2026.
- Customers who didn't have Application Gateway V1 SKU in their subscriptions as of 4 July 2023 are considered as new customers. These customers won’t be able to create new V1 gateways in subscriptions which didn't have an existing V1 gateway as of 4 July 2023 going forward.
- Customers who had active or stopped but allocated Application Gateway V1 SKU in their subscriptions as of 4 July 2023, are considered existing customers. These customers get until August 28, 2024 to create new V1 application gateways in their existing subscriptions and until April 28,2026 to migrate their V1 gateways to V2.
I understand you are currently in prototyping stage, but I still think it will be beneficial if you could use WAF V2 SKU for prototyping because.
- All the latest managed rule sets (OWASP CRS 3.2) can be added to WAF v2 sku only. As these rulesets are frequently upgraded and help prevent against latest known threats
- Application Gateway v1 doesn't support WAF policy.
- Azure Application Gateway WAF v2 natively supports WAF policy.
- Policies offer a richer set of advanced features. This includes newer managed rule sets, custom rules, per rule exclusions, bot protection, and the next generation of WAF engine. These advanced features are available to you at no extra cost.
- WAF policies provide higher scale and better performance.
- Unlike legacy WAF configuration, WAF policies can be defined once and shared across multiple gateways, listeners, and URL paths. This simplifies the management and deployment experience.
- The latest features and future enhancements are only available via WAF policies.
- As WAF_v2 SKU also offer support for autoscaling and manual scaling. You can configure these settings to prevent any unexpected charge during prototyping.
I hope this has been helpful! Your feedback is important so please take a moment to accept answers. If you still have questions, please let us know what is needed in the comments so the question can be answered. Thank you for helping to improve Microsoft Q&A!