Moved a custom domain from one static web app to another and getting 404 webiste not found

Jackgruz 21 Reputation points
2020-11-24T00:03:22.78+00:00

Hi,

I have moved a custom domain from one of my static web apps to another and when I visit the website I'm getting 404 Website not found and the links on the page aren't helpful.

My DNS entries are correct and the domain is correctly configured in azure.

Wondering what's going on?
How long does it normally take for these changes to apply?

Thanks

Azure DNS
Azure DNS
An Azure service that enables hosting Domain Name System (DNS) domains in Azure.
592 questions
Azure App Service
Azure App Service
Azure App Service is a service used to create and deploy scalable, mission-critical web apps.
6,770 questions
Azure Static Web Apps
Azure Static Web Apps
An Azure service that provides streamlined full-stack web app development.
750 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

Accepted answer
  1. suvasara-MSFT 9,996 Reputation points
    2020-11-24T11:38:13.373+00:00

    @Jackgruz , you should be able to move custom domain from one web app to another even under same App Service plan. 404 error indicates the site is not reachable. Have you deleted the custom domain first and trying to add to new web app? If so domain verification process would take 48 hrs. In some cases, it extends beyond that. I suggest you wait for few hours for the propagation to occur.
    Also, check if your custom domain is a root domain then you need to add only A record to your registerer site instead of CNAME. CNAME for root domain is not yet available for web app custom domain feature.

    ----------

    Please do not forget to "Accept the answer" wherever the information provided helps you to help others in the community.

    0 comments No comments

1 additional answer

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jackgruz 21 Reputation points
    2020-11-25T01:32:21.837+00:00

    Thanks @suvasara-MSFT , I'm using Static Web Apps, I had waited the 48 hours and azure said it was verified, however in the end I changed the subdomain to www. as I can't use a root domain because static web apps don't support them yet. It seems it was still propagating. Thanks anyways