SharePoint 2016 On Prem Alerts not working for some lists on upgraded sites

Jeanne McGaffigan 1 Reputation point
2020-12-18T15:40:32.297+00:00

We upgraded our SharePoint 2010 farm earlier this year. Some of the site collections were upgraded using the database upgrade method. The databases were upgraded from 2010 to 2013, then the site collections were upgraded and minimally verified. Then the databases were upgraded from 2013 to 2016 and the site collections upgraded.
The URL's are not the same in 2016 as they were in 2010.

Some lists in these site collections had existing alerts. These alerts are no longer working. If you set a new alert, you get the initial email that an alert has been set.

You can successfully create alerts in other lists on the site.

Site collections that were upgraded in a different manner are working correctly.

I am now on my second ticket with Microsoft support for this issue, without any resolution.

All of the normal alert troubleshooting has been done and still no resolution.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

SharePoint Server Management
SharePoint Server Management
SharePoint Server: A family of Microsoft on-premises document management and storage systems.Management: The act or process of organizing, handling, directing or controlling something.
2,795 questions
0 comments No comments
{count} votes

3 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Jerry Xu-MSFT 7,921 Reputation points
    2020-12-21T09:46:05.317+00:00

    Hi, @Jeanne McGaffigan ,

    Based on your description, I assume the alert issue only occurs on the lists in site collections which go through a DB upgrade migration. And for the part

    Some lists in these site collections had existing alerts. These alerts are no longer working. If you set a new alert, you get the initial email that an alert has been set.

    do you mean only old alerts failed or newly created alerts are also not working?

    If newly created alerts work, it may be better to simply recreate all the alerts. And do you have any information from the support team?

    Update:

    Here is the script for Alert URL

    #Variables  
    $WebURL = "<SiteName>"  
    $ListName="<ListName>"  
       
      
      #Get the Web and List objects  
      $Web = Get-SPWeb $WebURL  
      $List = $web.Lists.TryGetList($ListName)  
     $alertsToDelete = @()  
      #Get All Alerts created in the list - Which are Active  
      $ListAlerts = $Web.Alerts | Where-Object {($_.List.Title -eq $List.Title)}   
     foreach($alert in $ListAlerts)  
    {  
       write-host $alert.title "belongs to " $alert.list.parentweb.url  
    }  
    

    If an Answer is helpful, please click "Accept Answer" and upvote it.
    Note: Please follow the steps in our documentation to enable e-mail notifications if you want to receive the related email notification for this thread.


  2. Jeanne McGaffigan 1 Reputation point
    2020-12-22T13:19:50.323+00:00

    I ran your powershell and the URL is the correct one.


  3. Jeanne McGaffigan 1 Reputation point
    2021-01-04T16:20:14.66+00:00

    I started a new log, set logging to verboseex. I updated an item and then ran the timer job. I then merged all the logs in the farm for the time frame. This log was submitted to MS Support and I looked it at. There were no errors that I could see. I am still waiting to hear back from MS Support after having submitted the logs.

    0 comments No comments