Is the Sample Music in the Public Domain?

Anonymous
2009-12-19T22:09:17+00:00

I was using the Windows Movie Maker program and I wanted to put music into my video. I saw that there was some nice music in the Sample Music folder. I liked  Beethoven's Symphony No. 3. I assumed that it was in the public domain but then I heard from somewhere that the artist (apparently Nicolaus Esterhazy Sinfonia) may have a copyright on it. What I am asking is if the Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 in the Sample Music folder is in the Public Domain.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2009-12-20T20:09:30+00:00

Hi Kchoffat,

Welcome to Microsoft Answers.

Sample Music is in the public folder by default. The Public folder is a convenient way to share files that are stored on your computer. You can share files in this folder with other people using the same computer and with people using other computers on the same network. Any file or folder you put in the Public folder is automatically shared with the people who have access to your Public folder. There is only one Public folder in Windows. Every person with a user account on the computer shares this folder.

Beethoven's Symphony No. 3 does not have copyright protection and you will be able to use it with Windows Movie maker. It is located in the public music folder by default.

Also refer to the link “Sharing files with the Public folder” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Sharing-files-with-the-Public-folder

More information check the link “Getting started with Windows Movie maker” http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Getting-started-with-Windows-Movie-Maker

Diana

Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

3 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2011-03-12T01:06:17+00:00

    Can we use the music in the Public Folder, Sample Music, for commercial projects?

    Thanks

    Gerardo

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2009-12-21T12:23:00+00:00

    Hi Kchoffat,

    You are welcome. Thank you for the feedback.

    Diana

    Microsoft Answers Support Engineer

    Visit our Microsoft Answers Feedback Forum and let us know what you think.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2009-12-21T00:06:00+00:00

    Thank you. This really hepled.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments